Author Topic: The bow that couldn't be strung  (Read 3296 times)

Offline TheDukesArchers

The bow that couldn't be strung
« on: November 15, 2013, 06:56:47 pm »
Here is a photo from the seller before I bought the bow (seems he can string it no problem). The string came as a dacron single loop. The bow is 80 inches long overall. When attempting to string the bow using a stringer and the correct method, I find I can't reach far enough to push the string onto the knock. When the bow is actually strung (using a 2nd person) the string just lies flat against the bow. This is from around 4 inches from loop to knock. Any further than that is hard because the longer the distance, the more the bow has to be pulled upright. I'm a fairly strong 6'2, 23 year old male who has been shooting recurve for about 3 years on and off. 

Offline WillS

Re: The bow that couldn't be strung
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 07:26:43 pm »
So the bow is only 88lbs? That's light for a warbow as you know, so theres something fundamentally wrong - either with your technique or with the string itself. 

First question - is the string that you have the same as the one in the pic?

Second question - if it is, did you change the string at all - adding or removing twists or retying the bowyers knot?

88lbs should be absolutely fine with Dacron, considering it's an ok string material right up to 100lbs, and we're only talking about getting the bow to brace height which is a fraction of the draw weight.  I think Del recently posted on his blog that an elm bow of 100lbs required 55lbs to get to brace height so I can't imagine the problem is the string.  Trouble is, without seeing you do it it's hard to analyse what could be wrong.  Don't suppose you can get to Rugby/Dunchurch tomorrrow eh?  I amongst others will be at the English warbow stall and somebody would be able to help you for sure then!

One aspect could simply be that you're not used to the weight, and lack confidence in pulling a heavy bow straight up towards your chin - took me a while to get a good feel for it!

Offline TheDukesArchers

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 07:51:00 pm »
Yes I can get to Dunchurch tomorrow  :)

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 08:33:28 pm »
Looks like a cool bow, I like the character. I hope you get your string situation sifted out.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline AH

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 11:26:56 pm »
That bow looks like one of Kamil2910's works. Maybe he can help you there
 ;)

mikekeswick

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 04:03:10 am »
The tiller looks funny in the partially drawn picture.
Have you got a picture of it at full draw?

Offline WillS

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2013, 12:59:31 pm »
Sorry I didn't get your message in time mate, it's the NLHF at Dunchurch.  Hope you managed to find out in time! 

Offline TheDukesArchers

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, 01:32:10 pm »
Got it strung, but the tiller is a load of crap.

Offline WillS

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, 02:07:48 pm »
Yeah that's what you get from that company.  They churn out bows by the shed load without much care.  Post some pics!

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2013, 02:38:11 pm »
Yeah that's what you get from that company.  They churn out bows by the shed load without much care.  Post some pics!

I second this, I am curious. The stave itself does look like it has a little character to begin with.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair