Author Topic: Grrrrr  (Read 1852 times)

Offline Blaflair2

Grrrrr
« on: November 19, 2013, 12:07:47 pm »
So I lined up my tips last night. Went out in the morning and they  didn't stay. So now I gonna it it again. Lol. It's the osage recurve I'm working on. It doesn't need to go far at all. Kinda irritating. How long should I leave the weight on after taking twist out

And yes I took it a little farther due to the spring back
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 06:52:41 am by Pappy »
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Grrrrr
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 12:11:00 pm »
More heat, not weight.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 12:28:10 pm »
Never used that weight trick myself, just don't see the need of it. Takes very little heat to move the tips/curve on working  bows I've learned. Is your bow still in rough tiller form or have you strung it yet with a regular string? Art

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 12:48:29 pm »
It's done. Lol just have to line up the tips. It was a finished bow but then I didn't like the look. Needed hooks. Ill do some very slight tillering when the tips are lined up.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 01:05:21 pm »
Well then, if it's a working bow, and you can string it, do so. Sight down each limb and take a mental note of where each curve needs moved. Now unstring the bow and brace it to where the tip will move while heat is applied top/bottom limb. For example, I will brace the bow mid-limb against a post and have the tip wedged against a support on the opposite. The more pressure I apply against the bow makes the tip come around. I heat out in front of the curve, both top and bottom, as I'm applying pressure. You can feel when the curve moves. If I've gone to far I simply flip the bow over and bring it back. Once cooled, I restring and check for alignment. Process may have to be repeated several times but once you get the hand of it's relatively simple and quick.

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 05:50:23 pm »
I use a c-clamp with about 10 lbs on it. I use a piece of string hanging from the end of the clamp that sits about a half inch from the ground(if I'm only fixing a little twist). The weight isn't enough to twist the bow until the heat works into it, when the string hits the ground, I let it sit for an hour or so and I'm good to go. Fixed twist and tip alignment this way a few times.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 06:08:51 pm »
That's basically what I did. Except the inch thing. Which seems like a good idea. Then u can sorta gauge how far it's gone. They r lined up. We'll see of the stay that way lol