Author Topic: Hit up my mushroom patch  (Read 1760 times)

Offline Deo

Hit up my mushroom patch
« on: November 16, 2013, 05:48:22 pm »
Went to my mushroom patch, got a pound of two of chantrels, I also hit up two other spots a scored hedgehogs. First outing of the year and happy with my results.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Hit up my mushroom patch
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 10:43:34 am »
Good looking mess of mushrooms-two of my favorite kinds. We get those in July-September or so here.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Deo

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 03:45:38 pm »
Nice, Ya they are great mushrooms, It is interesting how the ecology changes. Here in California we get boletes in the late summer early fall, and in fall till probably late December or January depending on localities we get chantrels and hedghogs. I had a oyster tree that gave me mushrooms from late august till may, It was awesome.

Hillbilly, out of curiosity what kind of trees do chantrels back east associate with and hedghogs. Here chantrels associate with huclkberry, salal and oaks. I find Sitka spruce and oak-madrone forest to be good areas for mushrooms? 

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 04:02:14 pm »
Nice I don't usually hunt for those during the spring I hunt for Morel mushrooms they're pretty good
I like osage

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 04:33:40 pm »
Nice, Ya they are great mushrooms, It is interesting how the ecology changes. Here in California we get boletes in the late summer early fall, and in fall till probably late December or January depending on localities we get chantrels and hedghogs. I had a oyster tree that gave me mushrooms from late august till may, It was awesome.

Hillbilly, out of curiosity what kind of trees do chantrels back east associate with and hedghogs. Here chantrels associate with huclkberry, salal and oaks. I find Sitka spruce and oak-madrone forest to be good areas for mushrooms? 

Most of the time here, you find chanterelles associated with oaks. We have several types of chanterelles, mostly golden chanterelles and smooth chanterelles. Hedgehogs, harder to tell what trees they are mychorrhizal on. Oyster mushrooms here usually grow on tulip poplar logs. We get morels in late April, then July-September or October for chanterelles, hedgehogs, boletes, Lactarius, chicken of the woods, puffballs, meadow mushrooms, and others. By mid-October, our mushroom season is usually over as it's getting cold with regular frosts and freezes.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 10:17:59 am »
Yum!
Here in NY I hunt chantrelles and sometimes find hedgehogs through the summer.

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline Deo

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 04:39:57 pm »
Cool, Sounds like you guys out there have quite an array of mushrooms out there, thanks. I found a lobster mushroom for the first time but it was too far gone, bummer maby next time. Anybody else got any good picks of this years harvest?