Author Topic: Question about the fabric snakeskins??  (Read 1030 times)

Offline Easternarcher

Question about the fabric snakeskins??
« on: November 13, 2013, 10:42:43 am »
I've never done this before, but I'm building a bamboo backed bow for my niece's new hubby for Christmas, and I've had these copperhead look-alikes from 3Rivers laying around for a couple of years now.
Wondering if anybody has used them or can give some pointers on installing them?
Hows thwe durability under a few coats of Tru-oil???
I've run several searches, but I'm not finding much...Appreciate your comments.

Offline autologus

Re: Question about the fabric snakeskins??
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 12:09:27 pm »
I have used them and I glued them in with tb3.  They should look good with truoil, put several coats and go over them with steel wool to smooth it down to get rid of the cloth texture then a few more coats.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 02:02:34 pm »
I"ve used the copperhead ones 3 times.   Over bamboo each time.  Used tb3 but probably tb2 is better. 

I had issues with adhesion around the boo nodes but that we me being slow in the working window and stingy with the glue.  if you get air pockets under it you can just squirt a tad of glue under and press it down.  I used a coating of thinned tb3 over the top also.

Offline CPLSeraphim

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 01:30:24 pm »
I am literally doing this step now, however I am using the diamondback for my dads bow. It was suggested to me to trace the separations between the light and dark with a fine tipped permanent marker to make it stand out, but the fake copperheads I have for my bow, i realized I am nervous about marking up. I am using TB3, and used some scrap to check out the look when using tru oil on 1, and light tb3 the tru oil on the other, to see which looks better to me. I will post results for you, and update with what you do as well. Jim

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 03:37:08 pm »
Hey, thats cool, cuz I have a roll of each(copperhead and diamondback).
Thanks

Offline CPLSeraphim

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 04:47:08 pm »
Nice. I got 1 of each... but I broke the bow I was making, so now just my dads is left. lol.