Author Topic: Japanese arrow bamboo for trade, need rawhide  (Read 3264 times)

Offline Accipiter

Japanese arrow bamboo for trade, need rawhide
« on: November 23, 2013, 01:51:22 am »
I've been looking around recently and discovered a few nice patches of Japanese arrow bamboo growing wild in the woods around my house. If anyone is looking for raw arrow shafts I have access to more than I can use, and would love to trade for some deer or goat rawhide. I can get any length of bamboo and up to a few dozen shafts, but it will be green and I can't guarantee spine. Most of the stuff I've made into arrows so far has been pretty stiff though, between 40 and 70 lbs for a 30" shaft. I'm looking for either a handle-scarf sized piece of rawhide (6"x10" or 8"x12") or a backing strip (1.5-2"x 54" ideally), or both. If you have a nice silk or linen backing strip I'd be interested as well.

Here's a picture of the nodes on some pieces I have drying.

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Japanese arrow bamboo for trade, need rawhide
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 01:59:08 am »
I have some antelope rawhide, very thin!  Interested in a couple longer shafts, atlatl material if possible.

PM sent
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 05:15:23 am »
I have some deer rawhide and am also interested.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Accipiter

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 06:03:50 pm »
Fred, think I am pretty well set on rawhide for now, any other odds and ends you might have? How many shafts are you looking for?

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 06:58:57 pm »
I'm looking for a good bunch. As many as 4 dz.  I generally purchase my Japanese  bamboo from Jaap Kopedrayer (Nacht Wacht) from Yumi Bows.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Accipiter

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 09:21:34 pm »
Alright, well let me do some cutting in the next day or two and I will have a better estimate of what I have to trade. 4 dozen might be a bit more than I can scrape up, at least for the good quality stuff but I'll see what I can do. Any chance you'd trade the shafts for a few nocked/fletched arrows (points not necessary)?

Offline Accipiter

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 12:02:47 am »
Alright, I think this trade is closed for now, unless I have sent you a PM. Fred, I don't think I have that many shafts to spare at the moment, but I will PM you if/when I do.