Author Topic: Old-time Plains Quivers  (Read 5434 times)

Offline chamookman

Re: Old-time Plains Quivers
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2013, 05:30:04 am »
Are the back-rests Cattail or Willow ? I've always wanted to make some - Thanks, Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2013, 08:33:06 am »
I'll see if I have any pictures that show some of the stuff on the inside a little more clearly. I am not very good about remembering a camera. The back rests are made of willow. I have to confess, I cheated a little when I made these. The old ones were made by punching a hole with an awl, and then stringing them together with sinew. I drilled the holes and then strung them together with cord. I always intended to go back and replace the cord with sinew, but I haven't done it yet. It seems that it is easier to move on to a new project, and just leave them as they are. Mine are patterned after Cheyenne ones. There are 150 willows in each chair.
       The bundle of willows in front of the tipi is a willow bed. I have two beds. One sleeps single, and one double. The Cheyenne are the only Plains tribe that I am aware of that used these on a regular basis in the early to mid 1800's. More tribes started using them once they settled on the reservations.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2013, 04:37:29 am »
Thanks for the reply. I know You support the Backrests with a tripod, how are the beds used ? Thanks again- Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2013, 08:47:14 am »
   Bob, you are correct in regard to the backrest tripod. As for the beds, there is a runner down each side to prop it off the ground. I split a couple of 6 or 7 inch willows to make my runners. I have a couple of short ones at the head and foot of the bed, and long ones that run the length.  The runners were often smaller in diameter and propped up on forked sticks. I have the forked sticks cut to raise mine that way, but haven’t used them this way yet.
     Since the topic has taken a turn from quivers to tipis, I’ll start another thread that we can pu this stuff on.      Curtis

Offline Traxx

« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2013, 11:12:36 pm »
I would say the last 2 Cheyenne outfits were Southern Cheyenne.
Northern Cheyenne would be hard to distinguish from Lakota in most cases as often they were  itipspoye ,back then.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 11:16:39 pm by Traxx »

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2013, 12:12:05 am »
Traxx, definitely the first quiver is southern, and probably the second as well. The beadwork on the tail of the second one is southern style; the beads around the bow case are almost like the pieces found on northern style otter quivers.

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2013, 12:10:19 pm »
Here is another shot of it the Cheyenne lion hide quiver, though not as clear as I would like. Notice the cloth flag/ banner. The flags are common on lion hide quivers, but you don't see them on other types.  Curtis

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2013, 08:06:29 pm »
Well, ice in North Texas sent me home early today. thought I might throw a couple more Plains Quivers on here. This one is a Lakota quiver. Notice the flap on the quiver itself. There are quite a few Northern Plains quivers with flaps. 

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2013, 08:33:31 pm »
Here is another with a flap on the quiver. This one is from the Montana Historical Society.