Author Topic: What are some of the coolest things you have learned on here?  (Read 14405 times)

Offline Badger

What are some of the coolest things you have learned on here?
« on: December 01, 2013, 01:41:49 pm »
  This morning I was working on a character stave, something I have always struggled with asd I have never had that "artist" eye. I decided to try the trick where you draw a heavy black straight line down the side of the limb and look at that instead of the limb. I couldn't believe how much it changed my perspective. I want to give credit to who posted that but I don't rememeber. Steve

Don Case

Re: What are some of the coolest things you have learned on here?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 01:43:50 pm »
Just about everything I know about making bows. ;D ;D ;D

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 01:50:29 pm »
Alot of stuff
I like osage

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 01:56:00 pm »
Don't think I could list it all but the thing I am most grateful for is Gordon's Hazelnut build-along.  When I first started this helped me get going more than anything else.  I will always be grateful!  THANKS GORDON!

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=3895.0
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 02:04:59 pm »
I think the biggest things for me was... sinewing, recurving tips, and looking at other people's finish work... like handles, grips and art work, etc. There are some very gifted and artistic folks here.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 02:06:50 pm »
I can't say it all but it seems like I have my intuition about what I should do on a bow and I have gotten into the habit of searching on here before I do it. I always come away with some new knowledge. When I first started I did it first and then searched and found out what went wrong afterwards. Doesn't mean I do what I learn though  ::) :-\ >:D

I do think the most interesting and overall helpful thing is the info on how different woods need different layouts and dimensions to make bows. I used to just say to myself "well, that oughta work" without really any reasoning to it. I'm still just a toddler at this stuff though. Thanks folks!
Doob

Offline campx

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 03:09:39 pm »
+1

Don't think I could list it all but the thing I am most grateful for is Gordon's Hazelnut build-along.  When I first started this helped me get going more than anything else.  I will always be grateful!  THANKS GORDON!

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=3895.0

And all kinds of other geeky, old-school knowledge that thankfully time HAS NOT forgotten......stuff that keeps us grounded and in touch with Nature, while we live in this high-tech fast-paced world.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 03:14:53 pm »
I learned that pencil line trick from the guy that taught me to make bows and I posted it recently.  But I doubt I am the first person to have mentioned it in here.

I think the best thing I learned here is how to correct a limb from twisting as it is pulled.  4estTrekker posted an explanation that made me smack myself in the forehead and go "DUH!"

Secondly, all the posts about design lead me to making bows with narrower and thinner tips.  All the discussion helped me understand how extra mass on the tips works AGAINST arrow speed/cast.  Thanks everyone for those lessons. 

Thirdly, I was giving away bows and offering to teachbowyery to anyone interested.  But hanging with this crowd has reinforced what a great thing for the sport that is.  Passign on the legacy of learning!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013, 03:32:25 pm »
The coolest thing I have learned on here is hands down  the people !

Steve I have tried several times to tell folks how to use the strait line trick but not sure I have ever got them to fully understand it !
Please do  a post that will help others out!
I first learned it from Al from Canada and that was many moons ago !
(pre-internet)
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2013, 05:09:21 pm »
For me its bubbys easy handle wrap how to. I can now make leather handles for any bow I want and not waste a bunch of leather trying to get them to fit.

Jon

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2013, 05:43:22 pm »
Heat treating...
coolest.. geddit? Oh never mind ;)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2013, 06:02:40 pm »
halfeye's bendy bow build along.  I haven't made anything else since I followed it. 
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2013, 07:24:03 pm »
  Pitch varnish was a diamond in the rough for me. Absolutely water proofs sinew on my arrows, can hunt in the rain if needed. Learned from the professor Pat B...
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Renacs

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2013, 07:36:40 pm »
I would probally still be using training wheel :-[s if it wasnt for this site.  I see the woods in a whole new light now.

Offline _Jon_

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2013, 08:06:42 pm »
I could start naming names but my friends would only smile.  Pappy, Pat, Greg, Will, Shannon, Anthony, Dan, David, Chuck, Eddie, Dave, ..................

Everyone has shown me a special technique that makes my bows look and perform to the best the wood has to offer.  I've been blessed.

I'm a lucky man let me tell ya.
Member of "Twin Oaks Bow Hunters,"  Chapmansboro, Tennessee