Author Topic: What are some of the coolest things you have learned on here?  (Read 14471 times)

Offline BOWMAN53

Re: What are some of the coolest things you have learned on here?
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2013, 11:32:59 am »
Patience and determination to get something finished even when i tries its best to kill itself.

blackhawk

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2013, 11:58:21 am »
One thing I've learned is some folks don't want any constructive criticism no matter how naively wrong they are...and some folks are happy,content,and smile when there head hits the pillow when they make a severely mid limb hinged bow with lots of cast robbing string follow  :-X ....Yup...I've learnt to shut my mouth(most of the time,and more than I had before I joined the forums) ...sorry I had to say that...its been festering  :laugh:

This forum is the best in all the rest in this hobby/category  ;D

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2013, 12:02:03 pm »
What I've learned is humility. I had some success with bows early and thought I was pretty good. But over time I came to recognize and appreciate the depth of talent, dedication and generosity of the craftsmen that form this community. You all have made me a better bowyer and a person and I am grateful for that.

A big +1 on that!!

Same here, you think your doing good until you see how the other half builds! 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2013, 12:03:22 pm »
One thing I've learned is some folks don't want any constructive criticism no matter how naively wrong they are...and some folks are happy,content,and smile when there head hits the pillow when they make a severely mid limb hinged bow with lots of cast robbing string follow  :-X ....Yup...I've learnt to shut my mouth(most of the time,and more than I had before I joined the forums) ...sorry I had to say that...its been festering  :laugh:

This forum is the best in all the rest in this hobby/category  ;D

Just be thankful you don't have to draw and shoot those bows you speak of. That's the way I see it. Some folks like pretty and some like durability. I like bofe!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline dbb

« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2013, 02:11:59 pm »
Doh..i learned to build a bow,but seriously that can be learnt from a book (TBB for example)

The coolest thing is all the tricks you guys shown over the years.Thats what makes us rookies look pretty good at times ;D

Thanks for that!

/Mikael
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline bowmo

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2013, 02:58:33 pm »
How to build bows! haha

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2013, 05:21:05 pm »
For me, it has to be the "dunk your head in a large bucket of ICE WATER" technique that JWHalverson has repeatedly promulgated on these pages.  It is SOOOOO DANGED easy to take off more than we should in an over-confident hurry.  ...and danged near impossible to put it back no matter how careful you are after the fact.

OneBow

Offline iowabow

« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2013, 05:32:41 pm »
How smart you guys are period ...amazing
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline wood_bandit 99

• Shoot straight my friends!!   55#@26"
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2013, 08:10:39 pm »
Humility, how to shut your mouth or you will start a huge fight if you talk too much.  :laugh: figured better to be a little too quiet than a little bit too loud  ;D I definitely love seeing your bows and I learn some things I don't realize, I just do.
"Judge a man by his questions, not his answers" ~Anonymous

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." ~Chinese Proverb

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2013, 08:14:18 pm »
Humility, how to shut your mouth or you will start a huge fight if you talk too much.  :laugh: figured better to be a little too quiet than a little bit too loud  ;D I definitely love seeing your bows and I learn some things I don't realize, I just do.

thats a good life lesson as well. learned that one early on lol.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2013, 08:27:23 pm »
Very good question Badger.  I'm with Gordon in that every aspect of my bows has improved since joining PA.  So much talent here it's unbelievable.  The interaction with others who share this passion has really added to my enjoyment of the craft, so a big thank you to all!
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2013, 09:28:55 pm »
What I've learned is humility. I had some success with bows early and thought I was pretty good. But over time I came to recognize and appreciate the depth of talent, dedication and generosity of the craftsmen that form this community. You all have made me a better bowyer and a person and I am grateful for that.

+1 odd that being said from one that I have learned so much from...
Also I have learned to hurry up and slow down....still learning how to make a bow on purpose Every time I am on here ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2013, 09:33:45 pm »
For me, it has to be the "dunk your head in a large bucket of ICE WATER" technique that JWHalverson has repeatedly promulgated on these pages.  It is SOOOOO DANGED easy to take off more than we should in an over-confident hurry.  ...and danged near impossible to put it back no matter how careful you are after the fact.

OneBow

Oh brother!  Do NOT hang that one on me!!!

I personally lifted that one directly from the first Traditional Bowyer's Bible.  When I first read it, a whole Las Vegas Strip of light bulbs came on in my head.  I instantly dug out a yellow highlighter and painted it up good and pretty.  Wish to heck I could put it into practice more, though.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2013, 03:01:51 am »
Learned that there is more than one way to get the same job done:)

I love making bows, and I love giving them away:) and this is a perfect place for it.
I've met some if the nicest ppl in my area bc of this forum and I've een had the pleasure of making shavings and hunting with these gentleman.
Great community:)
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2013, 03:29:50 am »
The coolest thing...well I haven't learned yet.  Everything I've learned so far is pretty cool though.  The best is by far the people.  Neighbors around me freak out when they find out I have friends all over the world who, unconditionally, give away stuff, free advice, support, criticism (cause they know you need to hear it), and most important the "don't give up...go do it again" when your bow explodes!  I've learned to go in the woods and pick up a rock, cut a branch, pick a few shoots, go down to the river edge and gather a few goose feathers and...you all know the rest.  Your right, you can learn all this in a book but what this site give is confidence to try.  I've learned if other people are doing it then I can try.
Excellence is a state of mind.  Whether you think you can or can't...you're right!