Author Topic: Wood arrowheads?  (Read 4603 times)

Offline jkyarcher

Wood arrowheads?
« on: December 11, 2013, 11:08:43 pm »
I saw something the other day about native Americans and their use of stone, bone, and wood arrowheads. They were saying natives probably used wood or bone more than stone because it is easier to work and more available.

I was wondering everyone's thoughts on this. They said the only reason people think all arrows had stone points is because it didn't decompose like the bone and wood. I have seen in books and on TV where amazon tribes use hard wood broadheads. Also in some books North American tribes using carved wood heads.

I know they used them for small game but this program implied the were used for big game also. I was wondering how effective bone and especially wood points would be on larger game animals. 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Wood arrowheads?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 11:11:01 pm »
I know bone is effective on deer and I imagine wood would be also. I wouldn't want to be shot with either.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 10:08:51 am »
The native Americans used all kinds of materials for arrow heads,stone, bone, ivory, wood and whatever else was handy. they made some wood broad heads but I don't know how common it was. I think blunts made from wood were much more common, I've also seen pics of arrows with wooden penetration arrestors behind the point.

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 11:25:48 am »
The effectiveness of any point depends mainly on the power behind the arrow, spear, or dart.  If you throw a sharpened wooden stick with enough force, it will kill an elephant.

Large game have very tough hides and large bones.  If we are talking about using an atlatl and heavy darts against a mule deer, then yes, bone and wood are effective materials for points.  If we are talking about light arrows being shot with a 40lb bow against a moose, then no, bone and wood are not very effective.  Common sense prevails.

The way I like to think about this question, which comes up a LOT, is to imagine what type of archery setup you would use against a cow.  More specifically, a bull with horns that is enclosed in an arena with you standing in the middle.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 11:47:36 am »
And for those who will say that shot placement is key, they must think we all drive like the fellow in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsK5C8m44JY
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline 4dog

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 11:56:26 am »
wow...that dude has some awesome parallell parking skills!!
"SET" is always there !!!