Author Topic: First Osage static.  (Read 15795 times)

Stringman

First Osage static.
« on: December 05, 2013, 02:43:44 pm »
I was asked to try my hand at building a static and accepted the challenge on the condition that expectations were low. The more I watch the true craftsman on here the lower I rate my own skills. Still I was up for the challenge and set off to learn something new.

I chose the stick 3rd from the right cause of its large rings and straight grain. There was a small amount of checking on the back, but after removing a few rings I was off and running. Laid out some lines and quickly had it down to size.

After cleaning it up and further dimension reductions I needed to even it up abit from side to side and end to end. So I threwh her on the form.

I was super antsy about the next step cause I've never tried hooks this severe, but after talking it over with Chris I got out the pot and started boiling some water. As it turns out, my nervousness was unfounded... This was much easier than I thought.

After the steamed in hooks had several days to rest I began the slow process of tillering. I had already floor tillered before, but the statics had added a whole new level of problems. I was extremely focused on keeping this an honest 50 pounder and so there were a lot of extra exercise sessions. In the end I was right on target and my patience was rewarded.

For tips, I cut a couple pieces from a blonde water buffalo horn and glued them up. These 2 happen to have more dark in them than I had first expected, but still a very nice fit!

Next step was skins and after much discussion this beautiful set of blotched water snakes was chosen.

Left was the sanding (and sanding, and sanding...) then finish was applied, and the bow was shot in. Turned out to be one of the hardest hitting 50# bows I've made. No nonsense about her, if she wasn't already committed, I would be keepin her. 66" overall and 50# @ 28". This was a fun project!!

Here's some candy shots...

Thanks for looking and God Bless!

Offline Patches

Re: First Osage static.
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 02:48:00 pm »
To me, that one looks pretty good for your first static recurve!  How about a full draw shot???
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 02:50:32 pm »
Great finish work.  Can't wait to see the FD!
 :)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 03:08:00 pm »
She looks sweet Scott. Gotta love that horn man! Each overlay is different from the last. Ive seen it drawn, but these kind folks haven't...................so post it already man!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 03:19:46 pm by PEARL DRUMS »
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Stringman

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 03:36:24 pm »
Well I don't have an updated FD shot but this one is close. I have since worked the outters a bit to get them moving a touch more. If the recipient wants to post a final FD I will let him.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 03:38:23 pm »
Little bit if a flat spot on the bottom limb
Other than that, Nailed it bro!
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 03:39:10 pm »
i like it, same design as the one i made, except yours looks better lol

Don Case

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 03:47:10 pm »
Beauty bow!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 03:49:21 pm »
i like it, same design as the one i made, except yours looks better lol

That's because you used junk osage...............sucka'!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 03:50:44 pm »
That looks like a belter. Excellent.

blackhawk

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 04:01:48 pm »
Nice Scott.....now who's the unlucky customer  ::)

Offline Parnell

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, 04:08:18 pm »
And that gentlemen, is how you post a bow.   ;)

Great job.
1’—>1’

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2013, 04:20:30 pm »
Looks great man. 

Offline danny f

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2013, 05:04:31 pm »
thats a beauty well done.

Offline dbb

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2013, 05:08:05 pm »
No need to downrate your skills,that bow is up there with the better posted here!
Nicely done. ;)
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...