Author Topic: Muzzle loader swap (Pic added)  (Read 16384 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Muzzle loader swap (Pic added)
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2013, 11:00:33 pm »
Most of these production caplocks had the "snail" press fit and sort of riveted into place.  They cannot be screwed out.  That was to prevent the snails from rusting out thru the threads and blowing off.  Unfortunately, this means when they are hard to convert, and impossible to replace.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2013, 04:46:48 pm »
Pearly do me a favor get a 1/4 " dowel rod long enough to go gown the barrel and see if your gun has a lip it catches on just before it hits the bottom .
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Stoker

« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2013, 07:45:48 pm »
Pearly do me a favor get a 1/4 " dowel rod long enough to go gown the barrel and see if your gun has a lip it catches on just before it hits the bottom .
Guy

Now I gotta go home and check my barrel >:( >:( ;)..... On the bright side freind of mine had plumbing problems... I scored 30lbs pure lead pipe....
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Stringman

« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2013, 08:46:49 pm »
Completely envious... :o :'( ;)   I gotta figure a way to get my hands on an ol timey smoke pole!

Offline sleek

« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2013, 05:42:18 am »
One of these projects ( I quit saying one of these days long ago ) I'm gonna build me a charcoal burner...
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2013, 07:58:37 am »
Guy

Will do you worthless ol' nut! I need to unload it on a critter first though! HEHEHEHEHE!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2013, 08:27:42 am »
It would be kinda hard to do loaded
Hope you get the opportunity to unload it this year !
Take care
Have fun
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2013, 01:41:29 pm »
PD: What caliber is this one? Would you like to try some Maxi Balls I have 45's, 50's and can get 54's. Let me know and I can drop some in the mail. Also wanted to tell you for a fast reload I have found the TC 4 in 1 are a great quick load. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2013, 01:52:41 pm »
Its a .50 Ed. Im shooting some simple solid lead 300 gr bullets and sabots. I have (100) .490 round balls and .010 patches Id like to use next year. Ive never used Maxi's, but Im all in for heavy arrows!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2013, 04:09:17 pm »
PD; I'll drop a hand full in the mail tomorrow.Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2013, 09:27:33 pm »
As light weight as that gun is, a maxi ball load in it will be a punisher for the loose nut on the trigger.  The lighter round ball load is one whole heck of a lot more effective than many people today give it credit.   

I've never lost a single deer shot with a roundball.  I've had 13 of the 14 kills be single shot jobs.  I don't wish to speak of the other one, I am not proud of it.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2013, 07:32:13 am »
PD; I'll drop a hand full in the mail tomorrow.Ed

You da' man Ed! Ill try them and report back. Thank you sir!

Offline artcher1

« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2013, 08:54:23 am »
I have to agree with JW. Round ball and patch shoots like a dream in most MLs. That's all my son uses and he puts down everything he shoots. And that's with an older CVA kit gun. Trick is to get out and experiment with different size patches and different powders.

I however do things a little different with my Thompson. I shoot patch and ball, but also a slightly heavier half round/conical ball. Got both impacting together at 50 yards using the same powder, but with different charges.

Another little trick to learn, is to load you rifle this season, and if not fired, not clear it until after season or next year and still have it go "BANG"............Art

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2013, 09:32:23 am »
My muzzle blasters always go bang buddy! Aways. Im a clean freak. The very few misfires Ive had are a result of too many shots and no cleaning every 6-8 rounds. Other than that, its BOOM every time, no matter how long its been loaded. Im a freak about cleaning my muzzle blasters.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2013, 10:17:53 am »

My muzzle blasters always go bang buddy! Aways. Im a clean freak. The very few misfires Ive had are a result of too many shots and no cleaning every 6-8 rounds. Other than that, its BOOM every time, no matter how long its been loaded. Im a freak about cleaning my muzzle blasters.

I hear that a lot ;D. Especially from my younger brother. Heck, he hunted with his ML all last season and his gun wasn't even charged :o. In the end he got his buck , but that's another story (and a funny one it is)......Art