Author Topic: Trying to set up a router jig for shafts, not working really...  (Read 24857 times)

Offline Buckeye Guy

Re: Trying to set up a router jig for shafts, not working really...
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2013, 08:55:03 pm »
Don't give up
You will get there
Yes most folks use the side rather than the end of the bit
Different strokes for different  Folks 
If we all do everything the same we would be a boring lot for sure
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2013, 10:34:55 pm »
Don't give up
You will get there
Yes most folks use the side rather than the end of the bit
Different strokes for different  Folks 
If we all do everything the same we would be a boring lot for sure

Thank ya Guy,  :). Well I finally got it working pretty good. I don't have calipers at the moment, but my outfeed hole was drilled with a 11/32 bit, so hopefully they are somewhere around there. I picked up a round over bit, and that seemed to do the trick just fine. My homemade spine tester only goes up to 75#, so they are somewhere over 75# is all I know, haha. At least the doug fir are. The ash seem a lot lighter in spine, I haven't tested any ash though. I do set the bit under the square stock and raise and lower to get the right thickness diameter, kind of off to the side and under, but it was not like my big anarchistic idea or anything, my router bit just kept falling in it's housing due to being to loose in the housing, so eventually when I was messing around with it, I got it working, and looked and somehow the bit was below the shaft, haha. I do know some people have did it that way from scouring the net though, this guy does apparently: http://leatherwall.bowsite.com/TF/lw/thread2.cfm?threadid=215027&category=88

Here's how I had it at when I was using it below the shaft, you can see the tip sticking over the edge a bit:

It was cutting ok (better than the pictured shafts), but giving me little scratches and horrible tear out in the douglas fir still:

After putting a 1/4" round over bit in it tonight, my results were a lot better. This is what I am getting now:

If only they were not all spining too light for the bow I was wanting to make arrows for,  ::). So I guess the doug fir at 11/32 will need a good deal more sanding to reach around 45lbs or so, so the finish really don't matter anyway. I am quite happy I finally got this stuff cutting without tear out though. I tried cutting them using a jig similar to the 30 dollar veritas pencil sharpener thingy, tried using a bandsaw (and ruined two blades, the lenox carbide blade still has me kicking myself in the arse), and finally got something working on the cheapest router I could find. I am definitely a fan of the router for woods that tear out easy. I picked up a 5/16" bit too, so I guess I will make an arm for that diameter as well, as well as one for 1/2" shafts for warbows. This was a lot of fun, thank you everyone for the help, it is amply appreciated as always.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 10:41:56 pm by toomanyknots »
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2013, 02:16:24 pm »
I all ways used the round overs and they did fine for me , 3/8 or bigger seem to do the best for me
It has been 15 or more years since I have used this method so some things are a little fussy , but I was just thinking the rotation of the drill as compared to the rotation and side the bit is on seems to make a difference also , what some folks call climb cutting can be smother but if not set up right it can be dangerous
Looks like you have it now so keep going !
Guy
Guy Dasher
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2013, 02:51:57 pm »
I all ways used the round overs and they did fine for me , 3/8 or bigger seem to do the best for me
It has been 15 or more years since I have used this method so some things are a little fussy , but I was just thinking the rotation of the drill as compared to the rotation and side the bit is on seems to make a difference also , what some folks call climb cutting can be smother but if not set up right it can be dangerous
Looks like you have it now so keep going !
Guy

Oh yeah, I shot a couple shafts out when I was playing around with it, haha. Since the router bit goes counter clockwise when upside down in the table, I run the shaft on the left side. If I tried climb cutting as it's called I guess, I'm sure I would end up shooting all kinds of shafts right in the direction of my water heater,  :). Yeah, my "stubborn and foolish application" (don't really get that one myself, seeing as I've done squat different than anyone else??? but anyway... ;D) is working awesome, they come out perfect, looking lacquered. I am definitely a router fan for sure.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2013, 06:49:57 pm »
I love it when a plan comes together !
Hope the water heater is OK !
Guy
Guy Dasher
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2013, 07:57:44 pm »
3/8 or bigger seem to do the best for me

I got a pack of 4 ryobi round overs, 1/8" to 1/2", for only 20 bucks. Where all the other bits were 30 bucks for one (at HD). Good deal I think, they seem to do just fine.