Author Topic: Trade Point Dimensions  (Read 4555 times)

Offline Kegan

Trade Point Dimensions
« on: December 16, 2007, 05:09:03 pm »
Since trade points can be made to "perfect dimensions", at least in theory, anybody know whatthe best dimensions would be? Sya we're uing a tough metal, like table/circular saw blades.

Hill said a 3:1 dimensions, but 3" is the max legal in PA.

Most store bought points are only about 2:1 though.

Any thoughts ????

wvfknapper

Re: Trade Point Dimensions
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 05:27:03 pm »
Keegan

I prefer a 1 1/2" -2"  x 3/4"  wide or a 2" x 1" wide for trade points and stone points,, seems like the 3-1 theory is a lot of overkill,  using stone points the more stone the more chance of snapping the point,,, many buffalo were killed with a triangle point no bigger than a medium fingernail and I believe the paleo used a lot of antler tines for a foreshaft on their darts, no cutting edge at all.........The main thing is to get the tip of the shaft in the vitals and let nature do the rest  ;D

wvflintknapper

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 07:33:03 pm »
I don't make a lot of trade points, but when I do, I make them closer to 1:2 then 1:3. The long skinny ones seem to bend a lot easier.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 08:05:37 pm »
mine are 2 x 1 , almost exactly  shaped like a green bear broadhead.  they are stainless steel stock i have laying around. they come out shave sharp everytime.- Ryan
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 09:09:16 pm »
  I use stone points that are 1 x 2 3/4.I know that a lot of buffalo were killed with very small points.But it took a whole bunch of them and many miles and days of trailing.I have to be at work on Monday. :)With the Archeology sites documenting bones with a boat load of points,makes me believe ABO's didn't carry a watch.I like my trade points 1 x 2 or 2 1/4" with a chisel point like ,Grizzlies.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?