Author Topic: What's your worse  (Read 1551 times)

Offline BOWMAN53

What's your worse
« on: December 12, 2013, 04:28:43 pm »
Knapping injury?

Pulled this baby out of my finger the other day after it started pussing.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
Re: What's your worse
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 05:06:23 pm »
I shot a flake of West Texas Chert into my wrist pressure flaking at this past Burlington Knapp In.
Spurted blood across the tarp.
By the time I got it staunched and CA glued up didn't know I still had the flake in there.
It came out two weeks later...

I was saving it as a Trophy, but the misses threw it away... By accident  ::)
It was about 5x6mm and Razor Sharp.
I miss that Flake.

>:D

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 05:23:47 pm »
There's so many. Just wait till after this weekend and I'm sure I'll have another one too :laugh:
Knapper
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 06:13:20 pm »
lol i can only imagine how crazy we look to other people

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 08:11:36 pm »
Jordan my kids would call that a booboo. :laugh:

Stringman

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 08:34:06 pm »
Been a few years, but I was pressure flakin when the tip of my flaker slipped off the rock and I tried percussion with my knuckles.... the rock won... (Pen mark highlights the scar.)

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 08:38:46 pm »
Jordan my kids would call that a booboo. :laugh:

mine call it "AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!" lol

Offline Dalton Knapper

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 08:59:19 pm »
I was pressure flaking and had been doing it for quite a while. I got pretty shaky (tired) with my right hand and slipped the pressure flaker off the edge of the point I was working on while applying pressure. The result is that my left hand with the point slid across the top of my right hand and the point sliced across the top of my right hand. I have a scar about 2" long that took 10 stitches to close up. The ER doctor didn't seem to even think it was out of the ordinary when he asked how it happened. I guess they are never impressed in the ways people can hurt themselves.

I have heard horror stories from others that make 10 stitches on the hand sound like nothing. The worst stories usually involve spalling and obsidian.

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 03:06:49 am »
Ok it wasn't caused by knapping but affected it for quite some time. Last Memorial Day I was hydrating myself substantially with Jack Daniels at my pool. For some reason I decided to pick up my wife and carry her around (don't ask me why). While I was carrying her I decided to step on one of those long tanning chairs with all the rubber slats in them. Well needless to say my foot went through, I tripped and we both hit the cement. Only problem was when I fell my sunglasses fell off my head and my left hand landed perfectly on them breaking my fall breaking the glass. These were Costa 580's with glass lenses and they cut me deep right on my left hand where I apply pressure. I cut a nerve really bad and still have pain and numbness. Some days it hurts like a bitch and I can't knapp.

That day also had some pretty awesome stuff happen including me falling through a plexi glass table, accidentally knocking my buddies tooth out, and my wife backing her caddy lack into my new truck so hard the tailgate fell off !!!

Bad Jack Daniels Bad !  >:(
"Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 06:56:30 am »
The darn obsidian splinters buried under the skin that remind me they are still there from time to time.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline iowabow

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 07:13:35 am »
All I have to say is watch jackcrafty videos and that wont happen. He Hello kitty bandaids each finger >:D but seriously he takes and promotes caution. 
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!