Author Topic: Got my 1st tree stand  (Read 2762 times)

Offline Ed Brooks

Got my 1st tree stand
« on: March 06, 2014, 12:42:29 pm »
A friend of mine had a Gorilla hang on tree stand for several yrs hanging in his garage, he sold it for a 30 pack to another friend, who hung it in his garage for a few yrs. It seems to be in great shape, however the strap tag said it expired in 2003- Change it? Use it? How often do you guys change them? I do not see any ware spots in the strap.
I still need to find a safety harness any suggestions? Thank You. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
Re: Got my 1st tree stand
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 01:21:55 pm »
I have a harness still in the bag I got with a ladder stand a few years ago. It's your;s if you want. dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Mohawk13

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 01:24:34 pm »
Cabela's in Lacey will have a new strap/harness set up....Used to work in that Dept.....
He That Raises the sword against us, Shall be cleaved upon seven fold-Talmud.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 01:28:46 pm »
I don't change them until I see wear, which is never for me. If I have any question at all about a straps integrity Ill wrap another ratchet strap around it for insurance. Cables are what I watch closely, yet Ive never replaced one in 25 years.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 01:29:07 pm »
I would use the original strap but back it up with another heavy duty ratchet strap. I double strap all my hang ons, even ones that have a chain.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 01:35:34 pm »
You can get a very nice quality harness for around $40 online.  I got one last fall and they are much better than the free ones that come with a new stand.  But if you don't want to spend the money, get the one Derik offered.  It will keep you safe if you use it correctly.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 03:26:22 pm »
i don't use stands much, but i always use besides the main strap a heavy ratchet strap.
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 07:01:52 pm »
Thank you for the feedback,
DP: PM sent Thank you.

Mohawk: thank you for that, you must be pretty close to were I'm, I'm going to hit DP up for this 1st one, as I'm still not sure I will be able to go up a tree, spooked of heights a little  :-[

PD, Eric & Duck: I will be getting a new ratchet strap or a few anyway, think I'll be making a few ladders out and about that I will strap up to the tree,  and will be adding one to my stand, thank you.

Outlaw: Going to hit DP up for this one, just to try it as I don't really want to spend much $ . Kinda how I got into archery, To see if I can do this without sending $ to do so. My hunting equipment last yr was free / home made and fun as well all get out. Hope you all have a good day. Ed.
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2014, 06:00:16 pm »
Ed, I'm not wild about high places either, but those ratchet straps will hold it good and steady and last for years.   I hardly ever hang a stand higher than ten or twelve feet - I don't think you need to be real far off the ground to kill a deer.  Even six or eight feet off the ground and you have given yourself a real advantage.  Hunting higher up messes with my accuracy anyway - my arrows don't like those extreme angles!  Good luck with your new stand. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi