Author Topic: Cleaning Your Muzzle Loader?  (Read 12528 times)

Offline artcher1

Re: Cleaning Your Muzzle Loader?
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2013, 10:22:52 am »
What I want to know is how he was able to get the Austin and Halleck flintlock riflr to go off using a charge of loose Triple Seven?

Triple Seven has an even higher ignition temp from Pyrodex from what I have been told, and Pyrodex virtually will not ignite from a flash in the pan of a flintlock.  Did he use a duplex load of a little black powder down the barrel with a load of Triple Seven over top?

"Triple Seven FFg loose powder, 90 grains, has given superb performance in an Austin & Halleck Flintlock "Mountain Rifle," producing 1-1/4" groups at 100 yards, shooting 360 grain Extreme sabots with XS Sights Ghost Ring sights. Goex FFFFg was used in the frizzen pan. The same Triple Seven FFg with 100 grain volumetric charges has given superb accuracy in a wide variety of tested rifles, including the Austin & Halleck 420, Thompson Contender G2, and Knight Disc Elite .50 caliber."

Seems to be some differences with ignition of the pellets vs the loose powder. No experience with the Triple Seven pellets myself. I've never had an ignition, or any other problems with this loose powder. Accuracy, velocity and ease of cleaning is superb. All this comes down to what works best for you, not me.............Art

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2013, 05:04:14 pm »
Yup, that is the very self-same article that I read.

"The ignition temperature for Pyrodex is approximately 740 degrees and the ignition temperature for Goex Pinnacle is around 700 degrees. As a result, for some guns, black powder substitutes are not an option.   As noted in the article dealing with true black powder, Hodgdon recommends that a small amount of true black powder be used to help facilitate the ignition of both Pyrodex and Triple Seven in Flintlock guns. "  -quoted from Muzzleloadingshotguns.com

No matter that 4F was placed in the pan, the flash is simply not hot enough to flash over the high ignition temp compounds such as Pyrodex or Triple Seven.  I accidently charged a flintlock with Pyrodex once and eventually after trying every trick in the book, including grinding 4F powder into flour and pricking it into the touchhole with a wire, we had to drive b ack to town to get a ball puller to manually unload the gun.  And it's not just me, I've contacted Hodgdon to ask about how to use Pyrodex in a flintlock and they simply said without a duplex load I was in for nothing but agony. (My community has a law against the sale of black powder within city limits, so I was looking for a replacement)
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2013, 06:39:07 pm »
Well JW, go outside the city limits and buy your black powder. >:D

I have no experience with flint locks, but I shoot with a group of guys that do and they all use black powder. Never entered my mind to ask 'em if they have tried the substitutes. Will keep that in mind next shoot.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2013, 11:50:43 am »
Well this thread too a little turn, but I got what I wanted out of it. I'll keep cleanin my ML's the way I always have.  Seems pretty much the same as most of the rest of ya.  Thanks for the input and time spent posting.  I'll stick with black powder too, always have, and will till I can't get it any longer.  I have a buddy who bought an CVS Electra, he shoots all those substitutes and pellets and all, he had a miss fire on the only deer he saw this year.  :(

Thanks again, dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2013, 10:48:48 pm »
  I have a buddy who bought an CVS Electra, he shoots all those substitutes and pellets and all, he had a miss fire on the only deer he saw this year.  :(

Thanks again, dpg

Don't matter what you are carrying or what you fed it's muzzle, that hurts!

Tell the poor guy to come over to my house and I will teach him muzzleloading basics on a flintlock and maybe we can correct the errors of his ways.  I'll even feed him some backstraps off the grill. (I'm not rubbing it in, flaunting my good flintLUCK, just being hospitable  >:D)
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.