Author Topic: Ever sneak up on a sleeping deer? Fotos and story on Page 3  (Read 9739 times)

Offline BowSlayer

Re: Ever sneak up on a sleeping deer? Fotos and story on Page 3
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2013, 06:28:37 am »
Nice  deer.
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2013, 06:35:45 am »
Loved the story JW,thanks for sharing. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2013, 08:22:45 am »
WOOOHOOOO
That perked me right up
Good job and thanks for sharing it
I am tickled for you !
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline DQ

« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2013, 09:13:27 am »
Wow! Nicely written account of a great hunt, J-Dub.  I felt like I was right there chugging up the hill with you.  That's a beautiful flinter! Did you build it? Your photos are really good, I could study them.  Great accountrements too.  I love that "hawk! And...you sure did your part, making a good shot with historically correct sights on an American Longrifle.  Congratulations!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2013, 10:16:17 am »
Geat story! Always something special about a deer taken with a flinter.

Offline wildman

« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2013, 10:11:05 pm »
Way to go,and great story CONGRATS!!!!!
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2013, 10:17:08 pm »
The rifle is "Perty Girl".  She was my first flintlock. She and I have spent thousands of hours together in the woods over the last 15 years.  I broke her stock tragically some years back.  This spring I had a real gunsmith fix the break and I refinished the rest. 

I have rebuilt the lock twice and tweeked the triggers until I am satisfied.  She is mine thru and thru by purchase, use, and adversity.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2013, 10:21:58 pm »
Great story love it............................
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2014, 12:15:55 am »
And today, 5 weeks later, I finally cut up the little buck. 

Yup.  Five weeks hanging in the garage.  I like my venison well aged.   >:D

Actually, the little buck only got about 5 days of aging.  He froze solid as a rock and we didn't have enough warm weather to thaw him out until this week!  I got the usual pile of steaks and roasts, but the front shoulder on the off side had some damage, so I got less for grind than usual.  I made a batch of breakfast sausage using 60% venison, 40% pork.  I ate a small patty this evening and it was good, but needs more pepper.  I will add pepper tomorrow morning and mix the sausage again before packaging into 1 lb packages. 

I found the roundball under the skin in front of the off-side shoulder.  It was badly mashed passing thru the right shoulderblade.  I intend to weigh it out and compare it against a full roundball to determine what percentage of material it shed.  I am concerned about leaving lead in a gutpile, since birds of prey will often feed on these opportunistic situations and I don't want to kill them.  In this case, the gutpile got buried and a flat stone placed over the gutpile.

My freezer now has two small whitetails, one buck and one doe.  Each meal will start me re-living the hunt.  Each forkful will be a celebration of that animal's life and contribution.  Their strength and vitality will carry me thru many days.   Longbones left over will provide my dog with treats that she loves, each one will last weeks.  She will run grab the bone and show me her "trophy" when I come home, her tail wagging with joy.  The hides will provide rawhide backings for bows, likely bows made by some newbys on here needing a little extra support.  The buck's tail will be tied into flys by Flycaster (new to this site), he also has the sinews for future projects.  I'm saving some toes to attempt tip overlays for some future bow project. 

These deer are not wasted. They are not taken for granted or shot to bolster my flailing ego.  I bore them no malice, just as they bore me no malice.  Their brothers and sisters in the woods and prairies can count on me to work to defend their habitat even as I make use of them as sustenance.  I am active in several conservation organizations locally and nationwide.  I keep educated on pending legislation that will effect future opportunities to fish, hunt, and enjoy the outdoors...and I not only vote accordingly, but I keep in touch with my state and national representation to ensure they understand what I find important. 

All that in a little 4x4 two year old buck, a flintlock rifle, and the knife and tomahawk from a friend I have never laid eyes on?  Yup, and so much more.  So much more.

Thank you all for sharing this hunting season with me, brothers and sisters of the bow.  Thank you all for passing along what you know and believe, for what matters to you and me and hopefully generations to come. 

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2014, 05:23:37 am »
Thanks JW, that was a lovely piece of writing. Maybe I'll get over to your side of the world one day.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2014, 06:50:07 am »
Thank You JW - well said !  Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2014, 07:31:37 pm »
Well said indeed JW!
Sum's up how many of us feel when it comes down to the things we think are important in life.

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline bubby

« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2014, 08:26:41 pm »
cool story JW and nice to see that you practice what you preach, burying the gut pile ;) :D
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2014, 08:51:35 pm »
Very nice bit of writing JW.  Perhaps a book should be in your future?  ;) ;D
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2014, 12:38:00 am »
I've been working on a children's book on the life of our Black Hills Raptor Center's great horned owl, Icarus.  But that has been 2 flipping years now!  However, I do have a local artist willing to do the artwork if I share the authorship with her.  Sounds fair to me, she'd doing the hard work that actually requires talent!  (Talon-t?)