Author Topic: Appalachian music anyone?  (Read 3469 times)

Offline Wylden Freeborne

• This Is Primal War
Appalachian music anyone?
« on: December 12, 2013, 03:31:26 am »
Here is an amazing documentary about appalachian music, some of my favorite. If you are a fan, you will love it, and if you are not yet, you will be. These folks really put soul into those songs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXh8SDp0H-E
"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization." Emerson

Offline Parnell

Re: Appalachian music anyone?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 09:16:01 am »
Try to make it to the TN Classic.  Lots of good music played there.
1’—>1’

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 09:41:23 am »
Yes sir...I do luv me sum Appalachia  8) n I ain't the only one round here who does  ;)

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 09:52:46 am »
I've been known to listen to a little Appalachian music from time to time. :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 12:32:50 pm »
TWO THUMBS UP on the Mountain Music!! dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 04:51:51 pm »
Appalachian music has deep roots in the Celtic tradition, but it has grown a lot since then.  Bluegrass, Country and Western, Folk music from the 60's, Rockabilly, rock and roll, and Americana/American Roots music all grew from this source.  Alan Lomax's recordings made in the 1930's and 1940's...DIG 'EM UP!  The folks he recorded are the real deal.

Something irresistible about this music.   
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 07:58:22 pm »
These are my Dads people.I always get a kick outa the subtitles when they interview these people.I understand em just fine.LOL

Offline Wylden Freeborne

• This Is Primal War
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 08:16:34 pm »
These are my Dads people.I always get a kick outa the subtitles when they interview these people.I understand em just fine.LOL

Yeah, i speak fluent mountain, brooklyn, drunken new york irishman and ohioan (they use deesh warshrags on their deeshes). I am working on my northwoods as well!
"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization." Emerson

Offline RyanR

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2013, 11:11:10 pm »
OK, I really enjoy bluegrass. What is the difference between Appalachian and bluegrass?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2013, 11:24:36 pm »
OK, I really enjoy bluegrass. What is the difference between Appalachian and bluegrass?

Bluegrass is a modern offshoot of Appalachian music.  I don't know anyone that knows the difference and dislikes one or the other. 

This thread got me to thinking and last nite I dug out the Little Sparrow cd by Dolly Parton.  Some of the songs on that cd were taught to her by her elders when she was just a little girl. One of the songs on the cd seems to date back in one form or another for about 400 years!  She also does a version of Collective Soul's hit song, "Shine".  It rocks, especially the breakdown at the end.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Wylden Freeborne

• This Is Primal War
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2013, 12:28:43 am »
That Dolly CD is in our player in the kitchen more often than not! I would state that some differences in Bluegrass and Appalachian lies in tempo, bluegrass being generally faster, instrumentation, appalachian often times being acapella or primitive instrumentation such as mouth bow, jews harp, diddlystring or bones, where as bluegrass is a touch more slick, with guitars, banjos, mandolin and fiddle being present most all of the time. The rhythm and cadence of appalachian rings of old irish and english balladry and poetry more than bluegrass as well. Think of appalachian to bluegrass as slave songs are to blues.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2013, 10:18:58 am »
Bluegrass involves the 5-string banjo played with fingerpicks. Earl Scruggs, Ralph Stanley, and Bill Monroe were some of the forefathers of Bluegrass. A bluegrass band usually also includes mandolin, guitar, fiddle, dobro, and upright bass. "Old-time" mountain music is closer to its Celtic origins. It's mostly banjo, fiddle, or dulcimer, and the banjo is usually a 4-string played "clawhammer style." There are a lot of old Scottish and Irish ballads that date back several hundred years that are still sung back here in the hollers.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.