Author Topic: The Iowan Path  (Read 315845 times)

Offline Went tam

Re: The Iowan Path
« Reply #225 on: March 01, 2014, 02:32:14 pm »
Hey Matt is this the SOB stave?

Yes, not the very first one, I have another name for that one, this the one that we chased as a group and then I found the separation in the ring last week.

Offline Went tam

« Reply #226 on: March 02, 2014, 07:42:25 pm »
Here's where the "SOB" bow is right now.  46# @ 26" 4# less than my target but not an epic fail.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #227 on: March 03, 2014, 02:21:58 am »
I think your doing great. Is this your 3 bow now? Matt people like to see the back, belly and unbraced side pictures also because it helps them understand the design. Different designs can have different tillers. It looks like a lever bow to me. If you like the poundage and look of your third bow don't change it. If you wanted to continue tillering it some of the better bow builder would give advice if you added a couple more pictures.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #228 on: March 03, 2014, 02:42:03 am »
Just remember the efficency  of a well tillered 40 pound bow could out preform a 50 pound bow in speed, comfort, accuracy.  On the other hand a bow with a stiff limb is a bow and a bow you over work is fire wood.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #229 on: March 05, 2014, 12:31:48 am »
Had a little shop time over at Went tam's place. This guy has the most amazing set of tools. Check this out he used a radius plane to plane the caul he made and the saw he uses is all handmade.  This is me continuing work on the mentor bow. This bow is going to be real nice.

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #230 on: March 05, 2014, 04:56:49 pm »
I have the same plane that I inherited from my grandfather!

Offline Went tam

« Reply #231 on: March 05, 2014, 08:02:47 pm »
Really enjoyed the shop time JB.  Especially the part where I showed you how to make lots of little rocks out of much larger ones, a handy skill if you have a primitive drive way to build.  Of course that stuff you were doing with the rocks was pretty cool too.  Maybe someday I can make something other than driveway fodder.

The circular plane is one of my favorites, doesn't get used a lot, but it's great for what it's made for and I just think the construction of it is so cool.  Made in the day when tools sacrificed neither form or function.

Will most likely  go out and pick through the gravel on the shop floor and make some more gravel later :)

ME

Offline iowabow

« Reply #232 on: March 11, 2014, 05:42:37 pm »
With snow on the ground the syrup making season begins.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #233 on: March 15, 2014, 12:56:37 pm »
First round of maple syrup just about done. Isaac made us a label for our bottle.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #234 on: March 15, 2014, 07:16:13 pm »
With the maple syrup done for today I started working on the timber stand improvement project. Matt I was able to, with Isaac's help, set one of the trees up for cutting with the chainsaw mill.

Offline Went tam

« Reply #235 on: March 15, 2014, 08:50:18 pm »
Awesome!   Obviously today didn't work out for me.  I have some time in the am tomorrow, and Shell and the girls are going to Nebraska next weekend thru Monday, so I'll have all kinds of time then. 

Offline iowabow

« Reply #236 on: March 15, 2014, 11:09:20 pm »
Ok if you want to come out in the morning that would be cool. We can take a look at the timber I am working on. In the afternoon Paul is coming out to work on bows.

Offline Went tam

« Reply #237 on: March 16, 2014, 07:22:30 am »
WTH!   Does the weather always have to turn to $&@! when I make plans to come to your place?

Offline iowabow

« Reply #238 on: March 16, 2014, 10:47:13 am »
Matt I am not sure that the snow will ever go away. 3 more inches last night.

Offline Went tam

« Reply #239 on: March 16, 2014, 11:48:10 am »
Not going to make it over, as I will end up being the shuttle pilot for two girls that stayed at grandma's last night.