Author Topic: Marutake (whole cane fly rod)  (Read 3884 times)

Offline jonathan creason

Marutake (whole cane fly rod)
« on: January 22, 2014, 03:47:24 pm »
Any of you guys have any experience building Marutake fly rods?  These are a traditional Japanese rod made of whole cane culms, not split.  Just ran across one on another site and got curious, I've been wanting a new fly rod anyway.  There's pretty much little to no info out there on them though, unless you're fluent in Japanese.  Just looking for some first hand experience and pointers if anyone has them.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Marutake (whole cane fly rod)
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 04:00:40 pm »
Jonathan, I don't build fly rods but there is an Asian bamboo that should work perfect for it. It s called Bambusa multiplex and it should grow in your area. I think it was used for cane fishing poles. Bambusa multiplex is a clumping type bamboo so you don't have to worry about it taking over your yard. t has long internodes(12" to 15"), round culms and no sulcus to speak of. The center hole is quite small and the walls thick. It makes great arrows also with only 2 nodes per arrow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 09:52:32 pm »
I cut a 8 foot river cane just for that reason. Straightened it and sanded nodes. That's as far as I got..lol....Mudhole sells fishing rod building parts. I plan on buying a handle and guide eyes and adding them to the cane pole.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 10:13:57 am »
I'll keep my eyes open for some, Pat.  Don't think I can ever recall seeing any in the area, though.  I do know where a stand of Japanese arrow boo is, or at least was.  I know there's been some cutting going on in that area lately.  River cane was a thought, too.  I've got an old, cheap Wally World fly rod laying around somewhere that I'd probably rob components off of.  At least for the first go-round.  If that one worked out I might consider some quality components.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline wildwills

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 10:57:57 am »
Would love to see one...just got into Tenkara myself last year...love the simplicity.

Local Fishing and Archery tackle shop has on on it's wall....probably around 14ft - 16 ft in length.
Mike Wills
Bugs Bunny: Why, Crusher! It's good to see you.
The Crusher: Yeah, well, I was just passing by... Dyuh... just passing by...

Offline stickbender

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 05:53:20 pm »
     Never heard of that type.  But if you have a "LOT" of money, you can get a completely hand made one by Tom Morgan, Out side of Bozeman, Montana.  They are one of if not the most sought after fly rods, in the world.  Each is custom made your personal measurements, and type of fishing!  They are EXPENSIVE!!  But they will be the only fly rod you will ever need, unless you should be unfortunate and break it, or have it stolen.  But that aside, try your idea.  I had always thought about making my own rod out of split bamboo.  Never heard of the whole bamboo before.  Google Morgan fly rods.  The poor guy is now wheel chair bound, and his wife does most of the work now.  He has some kind of degenerative muscle disease, or something.  Lets see pictures of your rod, when you make it.  Pat, is the Bambusa Multiplex the same as what we used to call "calcutta" poles?  I still have an old Calcutta surf rod, my Dad made when I was a kid.  That was all we used to use, and they last forever!  Caught a lot of Pompano, Snook, and Jacks on them.  They were different than the cane poles, they were more round, and smoother nodes.

Wayne
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 06:01:25 pm by stickbender »

Offline Japbow

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 01:42:24 am »

Um...I'm Brian, and I'm fluent in Japanese!
      If you want a quick translation or two, let
      me know!

Japbow.