Author Topic: New Hornbeam Bow  (Read 17559 times)

Offline Big A

Re: New Hornbeam Bow
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2007, 09:40:07 pm »
I agree with Greg about the finish it really looks good.I will try that next time. That hornbean shoots as good as it looks. I like the 1-1/2" limb width. Another classy bow.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2007, 10:02:25 pm »
Fine lookin bow Greg. I gotta bad case of withdrawls goin on - been stuck in a hotel too long. Can't wait to get back home to my wood, hehe - that just aint right :D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2007, 10:11:32 pm »

Thanks Anthony! Your's really turned out nice, sweet tiller and hard shootin'! ;)

Cowboy, hope you're able to get home soon...at least in time for the holidays. Maybe you can do some scrappin' then. I'll try and do some more scrappin' in your honor until you're able to get back at it! ;D ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2007, 11:29:23 pm »
That sure is a dandy. Your pictures are great! Got you bookmarked for December Self Bow of the Month, too.  Thanks for the post.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2007, 11:51:38 am »
Excellent bow.  I do think it looks a little more like hop hornbeam (aka ironwood) but I'm no expert.  I got a similar bark pattern on my hop hornbeam.  The few American hornbeam (aka musclewood right?) trees I've seen were really "muscly" looking with very smooth bark.  By "muscly" I mean the trunk looked like a big leg with muscles, is that what you had?  As for the bark, the ones I saw were young trees and maybe the bark doesn't stay that way, I don't know.  Not being cantankerous, just wondering.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2007, 12:09:52 pm »
I still think it is HHB we call AHB,Blue beach ,muscle wood.Not sure witch it is but it dose make a fine bow. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2007, 12:18:15 pm »
My understanding is Hornbeam has smooth bark and HHB has scally rough bark.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2007, 12:30:39 pm »
You did good Greg. You kind of make me feel lazy with my spray urethane finish.  :-[ Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2007, 01:50:46 pm »
Thanks everyone for your kind remarks, I appreciate it!

I forget who post a website from a university where you could id trees. I'm almost positive that both the hb and hhb were similar bark, with the hhb bark being more where the bark curls away from the tree if that makes any sense. The smooth bark similar to beech or hackberry was NOT what I recall hb to look like. I could be wrong, but if anyone can post a picture that should settle the confusion.

Whatever the tree is...I like it! ;D
Greg

Offline DanaM

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2007, 01:59:51 pm »
Heres what I found at this website
http://www.oplin.org/tree/name/commonname.html

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2007, 08:57:06 pm »
No doubt, whatever it is you done a fine job.  The side profile is just perfect, and when you see the character in the stave it is even more amazing.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2007, 09:13:44 pm »

Thanks Lennie, I'm working on another...whatever the last one was ;D, and just got finished shaping the handle area. Finished tillering it yesterday and went by and had Pappy help me recurve the tips yesterday afternoon. Its a straighter piece then the last one, although it does have some checks in the handle area. I haven't shot an arrow out of it yet, looking forward to seeing that first one fly.

To borrow a phrase from a good friend of mine..."Life is Good!". ;)

Thanks for posting the pic's Dana, I couldn't tell much about the hb pic. Does it have smooth bark?
Greg

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2007, 09:30:04 pm »
So does it take a good bend?  You use steam or heat gun?
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2007, 09:56:28 pm »

Cowboy, hope you're able to get home soon...at least in time for the holidays. Maybe you can do some scrappin' then. I'll try and do some more scrappin' in your honor until you're able to get back at it! ;D ;)
[/quote]

Appreciate that Greg, and will start scrapin as soon as everything else gets done. This time of year is too busy, and I'm a scrooge.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2007, 09:58:07 pm »
In Dana's pictures, the smooth bark one I believe is musclewood, and the top picture is hornbeam or ironwood.
My first stave bow was hornbeam, gave it away during a hog hunt in florida to the orange grove owners brother, he fell in love shooting it. I miss it.
Nice bow by the way Greg.
VB