Author Topic: CAN a bow be made from a Xmas tree  (Read 10993 times)

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Re: CAN a bow be made from a Xmas tree
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2013, 12:17:45 am »
Funny folk on here.. Ardilla do it and post pics..

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2013, 09:10:46 pm »
Note to self- just research by self and ask those few who will honestly anwser the question

Ever wonder why lawyers wear suits in court and not ice skates, a pink tu-tu, a Nixon rubber mask, and scuba tanks?  Because they wish to be taken seriously.

You have to admit your initial post was something of a silly nature and you should not be surprised to get silly answers.  Albeit, the tinsel backing answer was not only funny, but thought provoking.  Salting the sinew with strands of tinsel would create an interesting effect...if only there were some way to get hide glue to bind with tinsel.

My serious answer to your question?  I would tiller out a pine 2x4 with good grain first.  That will teach you some of the wood's characteristics upfront.  THEN think about tackling what would be considered a character stave.
I shall do so...
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline IsaacW

« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2013, 11:08:29 am »
I was going to suggest Elf skins for the backing, ...but then I remembered that those dudes control the Naughty List and changed my mind.

OneBow

A couple years ago I was wanting to get as deep in the naughty list as possible.  I figured it would be more fun and I wanted the coal to do some forging (far better than the usual gifts). 

Anyway, I was able to arrow a reindeer and couple elves.  Reindeer hide is great, but I would caution you to elves.  They are not the easiest to skin as the hide really holds tight.  They are also greasier than heck and a good commercial degreaser is really needed to make them into decent rawhide and especially to tan them.  Finally, if you have never smelt the smell of elf innards... stay away.  I thought it would be sweet and pepperminty BUT NO... foul as the sulfurous bowels of Hades!!

IW
We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive.
Aldo Leopold

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2013, 11:18:04 am »
You're using the wrong kind of elf. From your description I'm guessing you were hunting the Western Woodland Elf. What you need is a genuine North Pole Christmas Elf. They are much easier to skin and aren't as greasy. Also, as long as you cut off all the fat they are tasty as sin. I prefer them seasoned and bottled myself.

Offline IsaacW

« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2013, 02:32:00 pm »
I'm guessing you were hunting the Western Woodland Elf. What you need is a genuine North Pole Christmas Elf. They are much easier to skin and aren't as greasy. A

Ahh... you see I thought they were North Pole elves as they came Christmas time.  Could have been immigrant labor that Santa was using.  Being that he profits so little, he needs to find cheap labor.  Those North Pole elves demand too much pay.

IW
We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive.
Aldo Leopold

Offline Marks

« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2013, 04:14:58 pm »
I'm guessing you were hunting the Western Woodland Elf. What you need is a genuine North Pole Christmas Elf. They are much easier to skin and aren't as greasy. A

Ahh... you see I thought they were North Pole elves as they came Christmas time.  Could have been immigrant labor that Santa was using.  Being that he profits so little, he needs to find cheap labor.  Those North Pole elves demand too much pay.

IW

Just seasonal work. Woodland elves get hired out at the end of the year for that last big toy push.

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2013, 04:27:58 pm »
How do you make a snow man ride a icicle?  :o
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2013, 04:37:31 pm »
whatever you do, I wouldn't think backing it with bamboo would be a good idea.
No no no!...
, you need to back it with Boo... rasp off the pine and then put an Ipe or Yew belly on it.. ;).. 8)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2013, 04:47:57 pm »
Don't tell the round jolly fella that you heard it from me <wink>, but there are a few illicit dealers in 'spare' elf parts that can be solicited if you are willing to pay the price for their wares.  They are very skittish and don't deal with people that they have any suspicion might be affiliated with the NPPD.  ...but I hear there is a guy that knows a guy that can get you some really well prepped elf skins for discreet projects.  And the kewl thing is that these are all harvested from 'road kill' or 'natural causes' elves, ...so if we didn't use these parts, they'd just be going to waste!

OneBow

Offline RyanR

« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2013, 05:59:46 pm »
Go for it. If it doesn't break you could paint it like a giant candy cane. :laugh:

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2013, 09:10:23 pm »
There is this one shapely brunette North Pole Elf helping Santa down at the local mall...mmmm!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2013, 04:55:58 am »
these are all harvested from 'road kill'
OneBow

Don't you mean sleigh kill elfs
Quote from: BowSlayer link=topic=44036.msg594261#msg594261

date=1387568326
How do you make a snow man ride a icicle?  :o

The answer is. ... put a B in front of icicle "B-icicle :laugh:
London, England.

45#@28"