Author Topic: got Dog Bane?  (Read 2702 times)

Offline YosemiteBen

got Dog Bane?
« on: December 21, 2013, 03:33:43 pm »
went and cut another bundle this morning. up to 700 stems for the season.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: got Dog Bane?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 03:49:14 pm »
Nice haul. Ben. Now for the fun part.  ;D
 I'd like a stave of that wood behind you. Them are some big growth rings.  :o
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Don Case

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 03:50:52 pm »
What is dog bane used for?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 03:54:53 pm »
Dog bane has very strong(and long) fibers for making cordage.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 03:59:56 pm »
Is that Redwood behind you? Ive always wanted to go see the Redwood forest.
Once a soldier always a soldier. Hoooah!

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 08:40:11 pm »
The slab behind me is giant sequoia.  This slab has has been around since the late 1920s. it was cut from the trunk laying on the ground 30 feet up from the base. The white lines are not individual growth rings, they are markers for significant points in history. AD920 to about 1916. 
Sorry Pat - short wood fibers - no good for a bow.
McGinnis - we have Sequoiadendron giganteum here in Yosemite. and Sequoia sempervirens on the coast of California. Coast redwood is the wood used for decks and hot tubs. long fibers and long lasting.
DonC - Dogbane makes awesome cordage. it can be made in many thicknesses and was used for nets and many other daily things.

We have some sequoia that are 30 feet across at the bottoms. Google - Grizzly Giant Yosemite National Park.

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 07:42:45 pm »
cut another 300 stems this morning. Season total 1000 stems in the shed.  Still 1000s left to cut. hopefully the weather will hold and I get some days to go get some more.

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2013, 08:27:01 pm »
Could you possibly get a few close up pictures of what it looks like?

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 10:09:17 pm »
@ Stringstretcher - I'll try when I get a chance. I have some busy schedules the next couple of days.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 12:20:16 am »
I want to see the pile of fibers you get from 1000 stems!
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline stickbender

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 12:47:02 am »

Cool!  Before I realized what was behind you, I thought you were standing in front of a tunnel of some sort. ;D
Yeah, like Tim said, I would like to see the fibers also.  You going to make a seine?  That's a bunch of Dog Bane! :o
I would like to see what it looks like with leaves, etc. In Montana , outside of Libby, is a park called "Ross Cedars", and some of those are anywhere from 8-12' or so in diameter.  You could make quite the voyager canoe out of one of those! :o ;)  Does Dog Bane grow in Montana?  When I get back out there this year, I would like to see what all I can find, like this.  Thanks for showing it.  Does it make arrow shafts, or is too brittle?  We have a weed down here, in Florida, that I think is called velvet leaf, it has a fairly broad leaf, and it has little cockle burrs, for seeds.  Pain in the butt, when you walk through them, or have a long haired dog go through them!  Anyway, strip the bark off, and let it dry some, and it has long fibers, that can be twisted into fairly strong string, or twine, or rope.

Wayne

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2014, 12:25:40 pm »
Hmmm... So many questions. I do know that 100 stems will make about 300 feet of 16th in diameter string. We use the string for nets, tying up soap root fibers for brushes, fishing line, has been recorded for bow strings. Here in the museum occasionally we have to fill in with other staff. they are not necessarily aware of the fact that someone(me) has to gather material for them to use in the museum. Making string seems to be the most popular past time. They waste a lot of material in the learning process.

Nets are used to hold the feathers for ceremonial dance capes. I will try to see if I can get some close ups for you all. Thicker string is also used for making the backing for ceremonial dance belts as well. Also used to tie together rabbit skin blankets.

Dog bane is related to Oleander and should not be messed with when green. Which is why we wait until this time of year to gather it.  So far the weather is holding and gathering continues when I get opportunities to do so.  I will be in the museum the next couple of days and should be able to get some pictures of how it is used around here.