Author Topic: Good meat or not?  (Read 2259 times)

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
Good meat or not?
« on: December 08, 2013, 01:05:57 am »
Today was the first Saturday of our rifle season and doe and bucks are legal game.  My sister pushed a small doe to me and it was so small I was gonna let it go but then I saw it was running on a bad leg, so I killed it. I couldn't bear to see it like that and knew what fate would probably await it. At some point a slow and miserable death.  The right front leg was  broke above the ankle bone and it looked like it had been that way for some time. The foot was still dangling.  The time it had been like that was confirmed to me when I skinned it as that shoulder was remarkably smaller from the muscles atrophying from not being used.   None of the meat appeared to be spoiled or tainted. For all intents and purposes the deer appeared to be healthy.  It is all in the fridge, but I am wondering is it safe to eat.  I killed a small buck last year that had a small wound on his rump that I cut out and tossed but the rest was fine.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Re: Good meat or not?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 01:28:04 am »
Good call. If the meat wasn't discolored or otherwise showed signs of being spoiled I'm sure it will be fine. Like all meat well cooked should provide extra assurance..

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 08:50:41 am »
As long as you trimmed away the damaged meat you will be fine. Use to commercially butcher hogs in a plant and saw some real nasty stuff that usda inspectors let us cut out and pass it down the line. Plus, skippers are the best eating in my book ;)

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 08:51:23 am »
Steve , sounds like it will be alright, if in doubt set aside an cook it up at the knapins, You know how those guys eat :o :o who me.The way you cook Steve everything taste great. ;D Breakfast at 8, don't be late. Take  care and it's nice see ya over here. Later Bob
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 08:58:07 am by Outbackbob48 »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 09:07:03 am »
As long as you trimmed away the damaged meat you will be fine. Use to commercially butcher hogs in a plant and saw some real nasty stuff that usda inspectors let us cut out and pass it down the line. Plus, skippers are the best eating in my book ;)

Tracy

If they where picky at the packing plants we would have a serious meat shortage. If it doesnt stink its edible meat, despite color. Dead and/or rotten flesh will stink.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 10:35:31 am »
Steve about 2 years ago one of the kids shot a buck that it's ankle was swelled about the size of a baseball had a hole in it it's leg was the same way the meat was OK.

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 10:46:27 am »
You know it Bob, I really enjoy cooking for you guys . And you know if your late you may go hungry.

Might just debone it and can it.  I figured it was good just that little nagging in the back of your mind

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 11:59:35 pm »
Stick your nose close to the wound and take a deep sniff.  Does it smell like fresh meat or rotting flesh?  There ya go. 

If your rooter isn't all that keen, ask a friend to do the sniffing to be on the safe side.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 10:02:30 am »
I've butchered a lot of deer and I'm with JW,  smell it, if it smells like rotting flesh it's no good, if it smells like fresh meat, eat it.

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 08:42:19 am »
Before the gov. made it easy to get food for nothing
I saw a lot of folks eat some awe-full stinking meat scraped of the road and such
It did not seem to hurt them
Never the less I vote for the stink rule that others have mentioned
Enjoy it
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2013, 09:39:42 pm »
Lewis and Clark's journals of their journey had a great story on the Mandan people getting all excited when the Missouri River broke ice and they could get the buffalo that had drowned in the river.  the meat was green and falling apart.  The men, women, and children were shoving great handfuls of it in their mouths with evident relish.  Several of their men tried a taste and all became violently ill. 

Makes me wonder how much was mindset, cultural bias, or maybe a difference in gut bacteria? 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 11:23:53 pm »
Well I deboned it last night and it smelled just fine. It is all in the freezer for now.  thanks for all the  comments.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2013, 10:53:54 pm »
Next time bring a tranquil dart and put a vet's kid through college.
You did good  :) Hope you enjoy the venison.
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.