Author Topic: Tomahawk ( Completed ) pg.2  (Read 13835 times)

Offline burchett.donald

Re: Tomahawk ( Completed ) pg.2
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2014, 10:16:06 pm »
  Bob,
          Your welcome my friend...Hope it serves you well  ;)
                                                                                               Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline longbow man

« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2014, 05:14:15 pm »
     Hell of a hawk. How did you drift it? Nice job.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2014, 10:32:13 pm »

Beautiful job!  The only thing, I should have suggested, was to to flatten the back of the cross, and sides, and run a groove in the sides, before applying the epoxy, and inserting the cross, I think it would hold a bit better.  Have you thought of doing that with bone?  Like I said for someone who has never used burning tools, you did extremely well.  Like I said, there a lot of various types of blades, for the hand pieces, from large, to small, scales, feathers, etc., it takes a steady hand, and eye, and the right touch to do a good wood burning.  Too much pressure, too long in one spot, too much heat, etc. can ruin a project in a heart beat.  It is a beautiful art form.  There is a neat combination unit, I have seen at one of the wood carving clubs, it has the Burner, and carving hand piece and motor, all in one unit, and is actually cheaper than purchasing them separately.  The wood carver motor is not for large projects, but performs very well on smaller hand held projects, and for detail work on larger projects.  The burner unit is adjustable, and the hand piece can take various burning blades.  I have seen some phenomenal work, done with pyrography.  You definitely have the innate ability.  Again beautiful work.  AND LUCKY RECIPIENT !!!  Just nice work all around, your work, and KW's . ;) 8)  I finally broke down, after years of trying to justify the expense, and bought a Granfors Bruks, hatchet.  It is close to being a tomahawk.  Very light, well balanced, and hand forged, and signed, and a 20 year warranty.  It is the hunters axe, or hatchet.  It has the thinner poll, and is somewhat rounded, to facilitate with skinning .  You can start the skinning, and pull the skin up, and hit between the skin, and carcass, to loosen, and peel the hide back.  Very pleased with it, but the price is way up there, but I finally convinced myself that if I did not get one now, I might not get the chance to get one, later.  Plus this was in a big Sporting goods, store, in Kalispell, so there was no tax, as there would be if I got it elsewhere.  I decided it was time I bought something for myself, and justified it with, butchering Deer, Elk, and other big game, plus using it as an all around camp, and hiking tool.  It just feels great in the hand.  Came with a "Real" leather case.  Not anything real fancy, but well made, and supple, and serves it's purpose well.  I spent too much for it, but if you want something really nice you will have to pay for it.  It is more expensive than a bigger hatchet, or axe.  Supposedly, because the smaller ones are more time consuming.  Could be.  Anyway, I am very happy with it.
                                     Wayne

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2014, 08:34:05 am »
  Thanks for the compliment Wayne...I am going to do as you suggested and invest in some pyrography tools, something for more detail. Never thought of using bone but have used it on knife handles, sounds like an idea ;)
                                                                   Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2014, 08:35:42 am »
  Longbow man, what did you mean by drift it?
                                                                         Don

Offline swamp yeti

« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2014, 08:56:14 am »
That is a nice piece of work.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2014, 05:13:32 pm »
Thanks swamp yeti, it was a fun project for me...
                                                                                                     Don

Offline longbow man

« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2014, 05:03:12 pm »
    Whether you drill out the head or roll over the steel and hammer forge it a drift can be used to true up the hole to make a tear drop shape. Notice how a hawk handle is tear drop in cross section? A drift is a tool much like a short tomahawk handle. Insert it into the hole and finish forging it to shape. The drifts I have seen are of cast iron so as not to stick to the red hot steel. I plan to forge weld a hawk soon with mild steel and a high carbon insert. Will let you know the results.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2014, 05:30:45 pm »
Longbowman, The railroad spike head was forged by a man by the name of K.Halverson who is a member here on PA... He would be the one to contact on his technique. I do know the hole was slightly tapered and I used a Zebra wood wedge and smooth on epoxy to mount the head. Thanks for looking...
                                                                                                                         Don