Author Topic: RO Board bow tip reflx?  (Read 1827 times)

Offline KrisDelger

• Just another guy breaking sticks
RO Board bow tip reflx?
« on: December 31, 2013, 08:41:20 pm »
Alright I'm confused on how I should attempt this... Or if I even should attempt it but I'm thinking about reflexing the tips on my current work in progress and I'm not entirely sure how to go about it. I've read about steam bending, and I've heard some chatter about rubbing in olive oil and heating and I've even heard talk of just heating the wood (I think that was for greenwood though) and since I'm waiting on the rest of my traditional bowyers bibles to come in the mail (C'mon c'mon c'mon) I'm just trying to hunt up some ideas for it. I figured that if I reflex the tips it would alleviate set caused by tillering or at least help compensate for it.

Any idea are really appreciated!
-Kris
Just a young guy with a filing cabinet for a memory and a whole lot of useless information.

Offline BowSlayer

Re: RO Board bow tip reflx?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 08:46:31 pm »
I steamed my oak tips for 40 mins each, they were 13mm thick but they hadsome spring back. just don't try a 90 degree bend. not on oak. to brittle IMO. good luck
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline bushboy

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 08:47:25 pm »
r/o is touchy  as it is!it likes to be a straight limb bow most of the time.depends on the stock.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 11:25:21 pm »
You can bend red oak, get the water steaming, get a rag, I use an old Terry towel and soak it in hot water and wrap it around the last foot of the bow then place it belly down over the steam pot for an hour, cover the steamer with aluminum foil while steaming, this works good on woods that don't  really like to bend, I do all my steaming this way now
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 02:30:17 pm »
You can bend red oak, get the water steaming, get a rag, I use an old Terry towel and soak it in hot water and wrap it around the last foot of the bow then place it belly down over the steam pot for an hour, cover the steamer with aluminum foil while steaming, this works good on woods that don't  really like to bend, I do all my steaming this way now

going to try it this way next time. how much bend do you recon it could take like this?
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 03:58:42 pm »
as much as the wood will take slayer
ifyou guys do a little digging I think it was ryano did a ro recurve
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline KrisDelger

• Just another guy breaking sticks
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 04:07:09 am »
Crap... Well realized an issue with bending the tips on this one... I was over zealous and glued on my tip overlays already (DOH!  :o )
Guess I'll try this on the next one if this one doesn't explode on me haha.
Thanks forr your imput guys!
Just a young guy with a filing cabinet for a memory and a whole lot of useless information.