Author Topic: Shaft diameter  (Read 2306 times)

Offline RyanR

Shaft diameter
« on: December 28, 2013, 07:44:51 pm »
I went out and gathered some witchhazel of various diameters for arrow shafting. Roughly what diameter should I have collected and can I just plane them down and expect the spine to be similar to the thinner ones? Obviously every piece will be a little different. This is my first attempt at anything other than cedar shafts. Also has anyone tried to make autumn olive shafts?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Shaft diameter
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 11:53:48 pm »
When I collect shafts I like the base to be at least the size of my little finger and probably a little
larger. There is info on shoot shafts on my site. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/shoots.html
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline RyanR

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 09:44:51 am »
Thanks, luckily most of them are about that size. I was thinking I needed them smaller but couldn't find many that were small and straight.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 10:07:03 am »
I use a 3/8" open end wrench to measure the bottom of the shoots to be cut.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline NorthernArcher

• Alberta Traditional Bowhunters Association
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 08:09:25 pm »
I have been making Red Osier (Dogwood) shoot shafts for years.  I typically collect shafts that are slightly larger than what I will need. After initial drying and hand-straightening, I run them through a 3/8" dowling jig and put them aside to finish seasoning.  When they are dry I plane/scrape/sand them down to size, checking them on my home-made spine tester as I go, and stop when the desired spine is reached.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."