Author Topic: I need some pictures for a list of common primitive bow types for reddit  (Read 2584 times)

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
If you haven't heard, the archery subreddit isn't the most primitive-friendly or aware place on the internet, and I'm trying to give people there a better understanding of the history of bows, and what primitive bows can be today. My list is currently short and underwritten, but my biggest issue is actually finding good pictures of different bows to show what makes each design unique.

I'm not going to find a different picture for bendy handles or flipped tips, and I've already mentioned that a lot of designs can be R/D in profile, though right now it looks like I'm saying there is a single R/D design because I haven't edited the post on reddit. Speaking of which:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Archery/comments/1sdbjo/updaterepost_list_of_primitive_bow_types_for/

I need a good picture of a paddle bow, a holmegaarde, and a flatbow. If you have a better picture for anything else on the list I'd love to see and use it.

Edit: And yeah, these people are interested in the price of everything. If you have better knowledge I'd love to hear/use that too.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: I need some pictures for a list of common primitive bow types for reddit
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 11:13:11 am »
huisme, with all do respect to you and your blog(or whatever) there are plenty of examples of the bows you listed you wanted and examples of probably any "primitive" bow styles on the internet, in museums and in books for all to view. In my experience trying to change a hardliners train of thought is fruitless. I won't go out of my way to do so. If any of these guys are interested in Primitive Archery they can sign up here on PA and get all the information they desire from some of the most informative "primitive archers" and primitive and traditional wood bowyers in the world. As long as they are honest in their inquiry they will be welcomed here and will get the answers they are looking for.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline VicNova

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 11:55:53 am »
Visit my website, imperialarchery.com. I have pictures of flatbows made from oak and hickory and I will have many more pictures soon.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 07:58:14 pm by Victor99 »
Ypsilanti,  Michigan

Offline huisme

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 04:31:15 pm »
huisme, with all do respect to you and your blog(or whatever) there are plenty of examples of the bows you listed you wanted and examples of probably any "primitive" bow styles on the internet, in museums and in books for all to view. In my experience trying to change a hardliners train of thought is fruitless. I won't go out of my way to do so. If any of these guys are interested in Primitive Archery they can sign up here on PA and get all the information they desire from some of the most informative "primitive archers" and primitive and traditional wood bowyers in the world. As long as they are honest in their inquiry they will be welcomed here and will get the answers they are looking for.

I'm not trying to change any hardliners (trust me, I know what you mean ::) ), I'm just putting up currently missing information on an archery forum. This subreddit has questions about draw length and weight, what arrows to buy, etc, on a daily basis, and lots of them don't even know that primitive bows are still made. They currently have a very short list of bow types that really doesn't cover anything besides the fact that longbows and composite bows were used at an undisclosed point in human history, and the drafts of my addition to their FaQ and sidebar have been well received by people who had no clue and people who were able to add to the list alike.

Tl;dr: reddit likes on-site information. And lists. There's a subreddit devoted just to posting lists.

What I'm missing are pictures that show how each style is distinct. Someone might want a paddle bow after seeing what a paddle bow is, but as of right now I don't have a good picture of a paddle bow to show what makes a paddle bow a paddle bow.

Visit my website, imperialarchery.com. I have pictures of flatbows made from oak and hickory and I will have many more pictures soon.

I can put the pyramid profile picture to good use; it's better than the picture I already had. Any pictures of a flatbow profile, my understanding of the distinction being that flatbows have no taper for a portion of the working limb?
50#@26"

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 07:18:11 pm »
I hear the search function on here works
or Google it
These are 2 things I know nothing about just repeating what I get told
Hope this all works out for you
I think all folks should have the info they seek about bows cause we need more addicts here for sure !
It will make us look more normal
Thanks for your efforts
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline huisme

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 07:52:21 pm »
It will make us look more normal

Oh wow, gee, no pressure there  >:D

I'll keep trying in-site and site-specific google searches to see if there's anything I'm missing, but everything I've seen is in someone's home or includes the bowyer, which might not be a problem but very well could be.

I guess worst case scenario I'll have to build another flatbow and holmegaarde, a longbow, and a paddle bow, and reddit can just wait patiently  ;)
50#@26"

Offline 4dog

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 11:34:03 am »
if i wanted to be "normal" i wouldnt even be here.   lol :o
"SET" is always there !!!