Author Topic: INTRO/ Working on my first bow  (Read 1865 times)

Offline Poynor

INTRO/ Working on my first bow
« on: January 02, 2014, 09:35:08 pm »
All this is my first post on this site all I can say is wow this place is great.. I'm on my way to build myself a bow. I was given a couple Osage staves to work on. One is around 80 inches and the other is 58 inches both are around 5 inches wide and 3 inches thick. So here are my thoughts any help or suggestions would be great.
1. Staves where cut in September so they need to dry some more.
2. Staves where painted on the end's but still cracked a little.
3. I split the short stave and I think I'm going to try to make a take down bow with it.
4. The long one has a dog leg bend towards one end not sure about it.
5. I took the bark of off the shorter staves and it is ate up with worms. Not sure if it goes down to the good wood. I'm using a butcher knife until I get a draw knife so I'm going slow. Do I need to treat the wood with anything to get rid of the worms.
I've attached a few pic's

Offline osage outlaw

Re: INTRO/ Working on my first bow
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 10:18:11 pm »
You might want to seal those pieces you removed the bark from.  Leaving the sapwood exposed and unsealed is a good way to get checks on the back, especially since they were cut a few months ago.  Poly, shellac, paint, glue, anything like that will work.  Once you remove the sapwood and bug damage you will want to seal the backs again.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 10:20:01 pm »
I'm no authority, especially with osage,  but if I were you, i'd cut that dogleg end off...especially as its your first.
and spread the fresh end with elmers glue immediately. if the other side is checking you might cut off a little there and do the same.
with 80 inches you have plenty for a little wacking down. the 58" stave might make a bend through the handle bow.

when you get your drawknife, get rid of the sapwood,rough out your bow shaped stave leaving the ends wide and to be safe coat the entire stave with some
shellac or varnish. it'll help even the drying process and .....they both should dry for another year.

worms don't tend to like the taste of osage heart wood , so you might be ok.
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 10:22:13 pm »

worms don't tend to like the taste of osage heart wood , so you might be ok.

The borers that found my osage logs didn't mind the taste   >:(    I hate borers   >:(

Offline Ink

• Jason Chollett
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 10:28:26 pm »
If I were you, I would remove the rest of the sap wood. Chase down past the worm damage and find a good ring. Cover the back as stated by the other comments. After your preferred sealant is dry (since I know your eager to get started on a bow) go ahead and rough one of the staves to near bow dimensions so it'll dry faster. Make sure to put sealant where you rough the handle out or it'll check on you as well. Takes a couple months to dry if you get the limbs very slightly bending. That's how I did it when I got started. After you get a good stock pile going of wood then you can start letting the full quartered logs sit for a few years.
Chew Motrin, drink water, drive on

Offline Poynor

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 10:46:28 pm »
Thanks all  I'll get all the sap wood and bug damage off the staves and seal them up good and let them dry.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 11:09:34 pm »
They can check over night if your not careful.