Author Topic: bow stabilizers  (Read 10993 times)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: bow stabilizers
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2014, 04:28:07 am »
To be serious for a minute.
You can't ADD a stabiliser to a short bow.
It needs to be designed to have one fitted in the first place. E.G it needs enough wood below the grip to insert a bush.
The joker who said dill a hole and glue in a bush ... is asking for the bow to just break in half at the first draw.
Yes, you could mount a commercial stabiliser or you could make one out of a boo shaft with some wooden weights, leather damping etc. I expect it would be fun until you trod/sat on it and broke it, or it kept getting snagged in the brush.
I still think it is a hideous idea and only really appropriate at a shoot on April 1st.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline adb

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2014, 10:03:04 am »
To be serious for a minute.
You can't ADD a stabiliser to a short bow.
It needs to be designed to have one fitted in the first place. E.G it needs enough wood below the grip to insert a bush.
The joker who said dill a hole and glue in a bush ... is asking for the bow to just break in half at the first draw.
Yes, you could mount a commercial stabiliser or you could make one out of a boo shaft with some wooden weights, leather damping etc. I expect it would be fun until you trod/sat on it and broke it, or it kept getting snagged in the brush.
I still think it is a hideous idea and only really appropriate at a shoot on April 1st.
Del

+1

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2014, 01:28:32 pm »
They make a strap on threaded wooden piece just for bowfishing. I have one and you could screw anything into it with the proper threads.

Hey I got a STUPID question.....how come we don't have a civility and manners "how - to"? Couldn't find a single mention in the how to section?
rich
Feel free to start a Thread, Rich.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline half eye

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2014, 01:56:23 pm »
 :)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2014, 02:43:40 pm »
I seem to remember someone building and posting a fully functionall ALL WOOD COMPOUND on this website.  While it was universally panned as an unrealistic attempt at improving primitive archery, everyone complimented him on workmanship and a seriously bent sense of humor!

The OP here sounds like he is looking to do some serious experimentation.  Not my cup of chickory, but I'd definitely read posts of his results with interest. 

Hartknifemaker, I don't think the guys were taking a poke at you, but we sometimes let ourselves get a little out of hand having a little fun.  I know, because I am probably the worst one for it in here.  Stick around and take your fair share of potshots at the rest of us. 
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 02:47:21 pm by JW_Halverson »
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2014, 02:50:57 pm »
I seem to remember someone building and posting a fully functionall ALL WOOD COMPOUND on this website.  While it was universally panned as an unrealistic attempt at improving primitive archery, everyone complimented him on workmanship and a seriously bent sense of humor!

The OP here sounds like he is looking to do some serious experimentation.  Not my cup of chickory, but I'd definitely read posts of his results with interest. 

Hartknifemaker, I don't think the guys were taking a poke at you, but we sometimes let ourselves get a little out of hand having a little fun.  I know, because I am probably the worst one for it in here.  Stick around and take your fair share of potshots at the rest of us.
Aw c'mon JW couldn't you manage just a little dig >:D
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2014, 02:52:32 pm »
Absolutely not, Delicato! 

MY bows need no stabilizing.  I, on the other hand, am the unstable one. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2014, 03:58:49 pm »
You mean a toilet paper roll holder?

Lol I'm just yanking your chain man, build and shoot whatever you want. If that's a stabilizer, go for it!

Jon

Offline scp

« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2014, 04:09:29 pm »
I gather there are not that many bow fishers here. If there are some, most of them must be just shooting extremely long arrows, instead of attaching spools to their bows. Using five foot arrows might be viewed as using a "removable" stabilizer. Does it actually work for that purpose?

Offline bowsandroses

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2014, 11:14:04 pm »
Ok I'm a little late here but I never really read a 100% good explanation on the question at hand. But first off I want to say Hartknifemaker don't let these bullies >:( get under your skin they really are some of the worlds finest people, give us a little slack after all we are primitive. >:D Now for the question! A stabilizer as said before does not make a bow shoot better, it rather acts as more a pendulum effect on the shooters bow hand. Thus it puts the weight of the bow below the bow hand stabilizing the vertical line of the bow. Most common on target bows and/or compounds shooting with sights. This has basically no merit in traditional or primitive archery either one, due to most of us shoot with a slight to extreme canter. But before I built my own bows I shot a bear take down hunter (re curve) that had an insert for such gadgets. I thought it a waist to not use it, so I built a double edge 12" blade brazed a bolt on for the tang to give it a brass look near the bow. It was quite the conversation piece at shoots and in the field (its intended purpose) I called it my bowanette and answered the typical questions of it with. It's all about the kill if the arra don't get ya the bowanette will. :)
My two cents worth of wisdom
One who seeks solitude will find their inner spirit.

A man who speaks to critters is a man with an audience who listens
                                              Hugh Ridenour

mikekeswick

« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2014, 04:54:27 am »
I gather there are not that many bow fishers here. If there are some, most of them must be just shooting extremely long arrows, instead of attaching spools to their bows. Using five foot arrows might be viewed as using a "removable" stabilizer. Does it actually work for that purpose?

NO

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2014, 09:48:07 am »
Hart:  As you can probably decipher, a stabilizer is really not the solution where a shorter selfbow is concerned.  Short bows are my favorites and for myself, I make plenty and prefer them to the longer bows for hunting, especially.  Longer bows are indeed more forgiving and for me my shooting is more consistent on the 3D courses with them.  However, in tight conditions and for the shorter shots, I can be very accurate with my short bows.  My best advice is practice.  Make one and shoot the heck out of it exclusively.  Avoid switching between your longer bows and the short one.  Become one with your short bow and your shooting will improve.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2014, 01:52:35 pm »
No bullies here :o, we're just playing. This type of question pops up at least once a year.
Yep, I bow fish, that's why I own the strap on block I posted about.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?