Author Topic: Some english style arrows / first arrows from my router jig, also new fletch jig  (Read 14727 times)

Offline Archeress

hmm..never thought of it that way...i might also try the multi layered hacksaw blades
Archeress is a long way from home

Offline Mohawk13

Nice looking arrows!!! I like the fletching jig..
He That Raises the sword against us, Shall be cleaved upon seven fold-Talmud.

Offline toomanyknots

hmm..never thought of it that way...i might also try the multi layered hacksaw blades

After trying both, I favor the layered hacksaw blades myself.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline toomanyknots

Nice looking arrows!!! I like the fletching jig..

Thank you!

Offline Archeress

well i thought i had seen your arrows before....they turned up on my FB page courtesy of Ari Laakso.

Offline WillS

If I may throw a spanner in the works - the Richard Head jig doesn't work! I had to send back three before I got a decent one as they were all badly cut and not straight! I pinned him down at the NLHF and he was disappointed himself in the quality.  I use a tile saw as well for my horn inserts and it chews up the jig so easily that after 12 arrows the slots are jagged and it's easier doing it free hand.

Here's a couple pics of my attempts at EWBS liverys

Goose fletchings (kinda chunky quill as they were my early attempts at grinding full feathers)

And Turkey

Offline Archeress

Very noice wills...we are a clever bunch :)  I bought a steel block jig from nidderdale..just for nocks on 11/32 arrows.  i love it...havent experimented with the longer slot..i may work out a way to make my own.

Offline WillS

I was going to mention Nidderdale - I think Richard (the guy who owns Nidderdale) makes very good stuff.  I bought a jig from him that runs a drill down the center of an arrow shaft so you can insert little steel rods to bring the weight up - very handy and very well made.

I've seen his nock cutting jig (did you get the one that you use with a little drill first?) and it looks pretty good.

I've just ordered some natural barred turkey feathers because I really like Daniel's fletching.  Hopefully I'll get somewhere close to his!

Offline Archeress

yes..but i still didnt understand the idea of drilling a hole into the side of the shaft?.  i read the instructions yet continued to have blonde moments.

Offline Archeress

My very first bought set of arrows have a drill hole at the end of the nock slot.  i dont see an advantage in doing this?.  the hole is slightly wider than tha actual slot width so wondered if the string would be affected upon release.

Offline WillS

I've got a feeling it's designed to give you that "click" you get with plastic nocks.  The slot is tight on the string, but the drilled hole is slightly loose, so the arrow is unrestricted but won't fall off.  That's just a guess though. 

Or it was just his way of making the whole thing easier, and he approached it from inside out.

Offline toomanyknots

well i thought i had seen your arrows before....they turned up on my FB page courtesy of Ari Laakso.

You mean mine? They might of made it there via the fellow I gave these to, I think he said he put them up there. I am not on facebook myself, I think facebook is evil,  :).

If I may throw a spanner in the works - the Richard Head jig doesn't work! I had to send back three before I got a decent one as they were all badly cut and not straight! I pinned him down at the NLHF and he was disappointed himself in the quality.  I use a tile saw as well for my horn inserts and it chews up the jig so easily that after 12 arrows the slots are jagged and it's easier doing it free hand.

Here's a couple pics of my attempts at EWBS liverys

Goose fletchings (kinda chunky quill as they were my early attempts at grinding full feathers)

And Turkey

Super nice arrows! Thanks for the tip on the jig. You think it would work with a hacksaw better?

Offline WillS

Yeah it might well do.  Probably, actually, as the tile saw chews it up as it's abrasive all round while a saw obviously only cuts bottom edge.   I could never get to grips with the numerous saw blades!

Offline Archeress

However.....a well worn tile saw is pretty good.  I bought a new tile saw blade and yes you are right..very jagged..but i am wearing it in on other woods and metals first. 

Offline Badly Bent

Very nice arrow work Knots, finely crafted beauties.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.