Author Topic: Ocean Spray Shoots  (Read 1906 times)

Don Case

Ocean Spray Shoots
« on: January 15, 2014, 09:37:25 pm »
I was out collecting some Ocean Spray shoots and noticed that Ocean Spray has two kinds of wood. The new shoots have kind of brown stripy bark and the older shoots have the normal grey Ocean Spray bark. Which one makes the better arrows or does it matter?
thanks
Don

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Ocean Spray Shoots
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 11:55:20 pm »
Use the older, more mature shoots. They are probably second or third year growth.

Heck, I've never cut ocean spray so I actually don't know the answer to your question.   ;D   
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Don Case

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 12:45:21 am »
A chance to redeem yourself then, is there any reason to take the bark off an arrow? I think the grey bark would look cool. A bitch to find though.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 01:36:31 am »
 ;D  I don't know. I have just always done it that way.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 08:47:56 am »
I have sometimes left the bark on rose shoots.  It starts to peel some during straightening, bubbles up and sometimes flakes off, but I just sand it away. Once in awhile it will start to get crumbly during use, but I sand and seal again. Rose has a pretty thin bark after drying though.  Never tried it w/ any other shoots.  I'd say some guys peel bark off because they need to, to get the weight even on their set of arrows.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 10:49:44 am »
DonC, Pat is correct in the older ones make the best arrows. I have used both and the young ones can be used they are light in spine tho. as for the bark I have some that the only bark gone is were a knot was and I had to sand it smooth, and yes they are a lot harder to find this way. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,