Author Topic: MOJam 2014  (Read 46316 times)

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
Re: MOJam 2014
« Reply #75 on: June 28, 2014, 01:57:24 pm »
Careful there!.... Its prolly paint thinner! Lol... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #76 on: June 29, 2014, 01:07:38 am »
Want me to hang a "Reserved" sign on the post..? ;D
I'll have some coffee ready for ya Thursday morning Eric...

Please DO!  ...and I'll bring some extra Half-n-half!  I feel like I took excessive advantage of your supplies the last couple of years!  I'll also bring a length of pipe and a heavy weight extension cord so we can get the power across the street for those shaded sites...

OneBow

No advantage, excessive or otherwise, taken Eric...  Much like my "advice", freely offered.  ;)
Seeya soon.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #77 on: June 29, 2014, 01:17:31 pm »
Well I woke up this morning about 630 and felt pretty good. So I decided to head to the garage and work on some stuff for mojam. I found myself working on a Flemish jig that I'm going to put on the auction table. I had gathered all my brass and stuff and started drilling holes. Then I kinda messed up a little and tore some wood with the drill bit. (Now to figure out how to fix that.) Then I changed my mind a few times and out came the Osage slivers because my holes was too big. Anyways the point of the story is I actually found some time to work on some stuff. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #78 on: June 29, 2014, 02:09:54 pm »
Well I checked the jars last night and it is not paint thinner so we are good there. Apple pie is on reserve. I think three gallons will do this year. Especially if sale won't be there. Lol. I'm going to buy a new farriers rasp for the auction table. These things are the bees knees for bow building. Very sharp. Also planning on bringing a fee staves and maybe an osage log or two. Plus the super sized snake skins to mess with as well. It will be here before you know it guys.
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline Patches

« Reply #79 on: June 29, 2014, 11:28:40 pm »
Today i  finished making a paper pattern for a reflex/reflex caul(jig) based on the one that has been at Mojam the last few years. I hope to get the wood cut and put together soon, but time is running out. Its only a little over two weeks til Mojam! I will bring the patterns with me in case anyone wants to copy them. I also think I am gong to bring a piece of persimmon, just to see what I can make out of it. Got some deer leg sinew to put on the auction table. Need to start practicing for the clout shoot too.
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #80 on: June 30, 2014, 03:25:09 pm »
DVS- is there a need for a caul that's just reflexed?  I got the pattern from Gary Davis years ago.  I can sure bring it.

I will also bring my welded stave horse bench if needed.  The grape juice is making as time passes...it might be a month old by MoJam!  I'll bring a few kids arrows and whatever else I have lying around.
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #81 on: June 30, 2014, 04:14:43 pm »
I believe I'm going to splice a set of billets this year, haven't done that in awhile.  I'm considering gluing them up with a little deflex in the handle, then reflexing the limbs enough to make it an R/D profile.

Might put some sinew on a bow too if I can make myself process some tendons before the event.  I have the blank cut and shaped, just need to floor tiller and it'd be ready for the backing.

I've been training for MOJAM for a few weeks now.  My friend brought me a bunch of osage splits he cut in 2011, his shed got nearly blown down and he took the opportunity to lighten his stash (and my wallet) a bit.  I've been processing the stuff up at every opportunity.  He stored it with bark on, I'm not entirely sure its good and dry even after three years.  I have something like 14 staves at this point, some shorter than others of course.  Most of them are chased to a ring and sealed for storage.  Still a few more good splits to work on.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #82 on: June 30, 2014, 04:32:42 pm »
Lennie...sounds like you have been busy!  I might be interested in a stave that will make a 60" sinew backed bow.  It will be great to see you again!
Bob
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #83 on: June 30, 2014, 06:10:52 pm »
Hey guys I'm bringing a few Osage states too! I haven't had time to remove any bark on them yet but might try to turn a few of them out.

tom sawyer, I would be interested to see how you splice some billets together. I have never done that.
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #84 on: June 30, 2014, 11:50:12 pm »
Sooooo . . . any advice re camping @ mojam?  My lil tent and I occupy just a small bit of real estate, but it seems that attendance will be high and, therefore, camping space may be at premium.
What's the gallery say?
Also, I've been known to lend a hand.  While am a newbie and on the "retired" side of the working habit, the back and legs are still strong.  Volunteers needed and, if so, when?
Michael
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 11:53:18 pm by Knoll »
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Patches

« Reply #85 on: July 01, 2014, 02:59:16 pm »
As far as camping, there is space off to the side of the drive that everyone pitches thier tents in.  I doubt you will have trouble finding space for a small tent.  there is additional camping areas up top of the hill by the main gate, but you are kinda far away from all the activity up there.  Camping is first come first serve.  Showers are up in the city park at the end of the driveway.  There is a a faucet toward the bottom of the hill, and ice is supplied for everyone. There is a small number of electrical plug ins if you happen to bring a fan (not sure on the number of plug ins though).  It will be warm.  I think 2003 was the only year I remember not sweating my but off.  Hope that helps.

"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #86 on: July 01, 2014, 03:50:40 pm »
Worst case scenario on camping, you pitch your tent at the top of the hill.  There are always several people camping up there and plenty of room.  Its just that having to walk up and down the hill is a pain.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #87 on: July 01, 2014, 04:08:15 pm »
Long range Weather Forecasts are something of a crap shoot in my experience, ...but just for grins and giggles - here's Marshall's weather predictions for the week of MOJAM.  Not cool by any means, but not 114 degrees either!!!  ...and NO Thunderboomerz!  This could just be the bestest MOJAM weather yet!  :D :D :o :laugh:

OneBow

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #88 on: July 01, 2014, 06:43:59 pm »
Thanks for the info fellas.
Re weather . . . if the soothsayers are correct then will definitely not need silk sleepbag liner.  Ooops, maybe WILL need the liner & not the bag!
Stay safe,
Michael
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #89 on: July 01, 2014, 06:51:15 pm »
'Nother question . . . is MoJam focused on primitive bows only, or are recurves welcome also?  Reason for asking is that my more than several efforts to produce a "manly" stick have come up zilch so far. 

Grandkids, however, are appreciating the youth bows that have survived the garage workshop.

Stay safe,
Michael