Author Topic: New eastern red cedar stave... looking for suggestions  (Read 5711 times)

Offline Brian Hoffer

New eastern red cedar stave... looking for suggestions
« on: January 15, 2014, 05:38:06 pm »
I saw this stave on eBay and could not resist getting it.

So, buying it was the easy part  :P  Those knots on the back make me a bit nervous, but I am up for a challenge.  Right now, I am thinking I will keep pretty long (stave is 70") and make it bend in the handle - or pretty close to it.  Everything I read says ERC should be backed, so I am thinking sinew.  I found this post and appears to be along the lines of what I am thinking:

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=30518.0

However, if anyone has other ideas I am all ears.  It was cut in December, so I have plenty of time to decide while it seasons  ;)

Offline Eric Garza

Re: New eastern red cedar stave... looking for suggestions
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 07:01:58 pm »
I love eastern red cedar as much as the next guy, but that stave looks more like firewood than it does bow wood to me. ERC is notoriously tension weak, so I'm not sure any amount of backing can compensate for those huge knots. But maybe you'll prove me wrong...

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 08:42:54 pm »
The knots will certainly pose a challenge.  Laying it out will be a challenge in itself - I don't think you will be able to cut through any of those knots and leave them on the edge of the limb - will just cause problems.  Any knots you keep in your layout will need to be kept intact and you have to follow the grain around them.  Sounds fun!!!  I like erc bows.
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 08:44:41 pm »
Wow that's some pretty wood
I like osage

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 12:56:15 am »
R-A-W-H-I-D-E that baby. That's what I would do. Definitely use every inch of length. I say go for it. An english longbow is the best bet for getting the least bit of knot in the profile I would think. Even then, erc will be wider (and thicker) than normal at the same weight of more common bow woods. You want to try to get as little knot in the profile as possible. The sapwood looks quite thin for erc. Usually it is much thicker, for me anyhow.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline echatham

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 09:09:16 am »
wow if them staves like that sell on the auction site im bout to make a killin!  >:D  I've got a real clean one im gettin ready to start playin with.  not sure if id be up for the challenge of that stave just yet. good luck

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 09:32:00 am »
How wide is the stave?
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Brian Hoffer

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 12:06:11 pm »
Thanks for the replies and suggestions!

@echatham:  I have bought all my staves on eBay thus far.  Most are of better quality (i.e. less knotty) than this one, but I just loved the marbled pattern of the light and dark wood.  My photo doesn't show too well just how purple the dark wood is either.

@Blaflair2: The dimensions of the stave are 70.5 " long, 2.5" high, and 3" wide

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 01:19:29 pm »
Don't forget the safety glasses, helmet and athletic cup.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline echatham

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 01:51:37 pm »
Brian yeah i was just makin a joke, but you probably knew that.  we got alot of it here and it all looks about like that stave.  cleaner ones are harder to come by.  the one im working on has a very similar marbled sap wood in the heartwood thing going on. very cool.   would be very intrested to see this one come along, as im still data gathering for mine.... never played with ERC before.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 02:10:49 pm »
I know where there's tons of it around here, this stuff is in a big hedge row so there's a lot without branches for 5 or 6'
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Josh B

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2014, 02:23:51 pm »
Don't forget the safety glasses, helmet and athletic cup.  ;D

I hate to say it, but I would add body armour to that Pat.  I've been studying the pics and I honestly see no feasible layout on this stave.  I won't say it can't be done, but i wouldn't try it.  The only way I would would be to mill it into a board and back it with a hardwood backing strip.  Something that i have yet to do.  I'm afraid I will be of little help on this one.  Best of luck to you.  Josh

Offline Mohawk13

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2014, 02:53:40 pm »
Make a box out of. Better piece for crafts than for a bow. You would do better with a different stave...JMHO...
He That Raises the sword against us, Shall be cleaved upon seven fold-Talmud.

Offline okie64

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2014, 07:04:18 pm »
Erc is tension weak wood and likely to break even without knots on the back of it, your stave has huge knots making it a great candidate for an even more sudden explosion. I am a carpenter and have worked with tons of  erc building cabinets, flooring, and chests but I have never made a bow from it so take my 2 cents for what its worth. Btw, Im pretty sure that bow you posted the link to broke not long after Ryan posted it. Maybe Ryan will chime in about it. Not trying to be discouraging to ya but If you are really wanting to make a bow from erc then I would try to find a cleaner piece than the one you have.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2014, 06:52:36 am »
I'm with Pat and Gun Doc,good luck with that one. ERC scares me anyway/even clean/ but that one really scares me.  :) It would make a beautiful walking stick tho. ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good