Author Topic: Green (hairball colored) Ipe  (Read 7704 times)

Offline Wooden Spring

Green (hairball colored) Ipe
« on: January 17, 2014, 08:47:34 am »
I figured I'd start a new thread on this one since I've actually got pictures now...

OK, I've got an ugly green ipe in a bow that I've just roughed out... How do I make this look good???? Has anyone used Aquafortis Reagent (available at Track of the Wolf) on a bow before? I've used it to GREAT results on gunstocks before, but I've never tried it on laminated wood, and I've never tried it on a wood like ipe.

Right now, everything is sanded to 80 grit and ready for the tillering tree.

Specs:
68" tip to tip
1.25" @ fades
.5" @ pin nocks
.5" thick @ fades
7/16" thick @ tips
4" long handle, 1" wide, w/ 2" long fades
"Everything that moves shall be food for you..." Genesis 9:3

Offline Lee Slikkers

Re: Green (hairball colored) Ipe
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 08:55:09 am »
Are you 100% sure its Ipe and not Teak?  The coloration and grain colors sure look like Teak to me...if it is teak you will likely be disappoint with its performance as a bow wood.
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 09:04:17 am »
Well, I got it from Atlanta Hardwoods, and they guy sold it to me as Ipe... I trust those guys, so unless the salesman was duped by someone else, I dunno...   If it winds up being teak, I'm going to go and buy the rest of the stack so I can have it ready when I build my boat for the price I paid...

mikekeswick

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 09:18:51 am »
That's ipe to these eyes. I've got two boards just like that. My prediction is that it will take very little set. I don't know if you are going to anyway but ipe works great when the belly is crowned in designs like yours.
Once you oil it up it will look plenty nice! I use a varnish called Rustins Plastic Coat on woods like that.

Offline echatham

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 09:34:52 am »
the ipe i have seen has been redder, but definitely had those green streaks like that.  does it look redder when its wetted?

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 09:36:45 am »
Yup, that's ipé. I keep emphasizing that ipé is a collective name for multiple botanical tree species. Not all ipé is reddish brown, as most people seem to think. I told you about the board I've used successfully for a few bows in the other thread. That board had about the same color as yours. Maybe yours is a little bit greener. I think it will appear less green when you scrape it or sand it to a finer grit.
Should make a nice bow though, even though you may not like the color...
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 09:46:15 am »
Yup, that's ipé. I keep emphasizing that ipé is a collective name for multiple botanical tree species. Not all ipé is reddish brown, as most people seem to think. I told you about the board I've used successfully for a few bows in the other thread. That board had about the same color as yours. Maybe yours is a little bit greener. I think it will appear less green when you scrape it or sand it to a finer grit.
Should make a nice bow though, even though you may not like the color...

Well, I can get used to the color if it makes a good shooter... I'm REALLY utility minded when it comes to that sort of thing, but looking good doesn't hurt.
One thing is for sure, this stuff is TOUGH. I've cut it to 1 1/4" wide at the fades, and it already feels about as stiff as my hickory and oak bows that are 2" wide. I've still got a fantasy about making a 100 pounder... Ummm, just because...  And I may choose this wood for it.  >:D   I dunno, we'll see!

Offline adb

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 10:42:39 am »
Looks like ipe to me. I've had ipe from almost black to that colour. It'll become much darker when you apply finish to it.

Offline Jesse

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 03:37:57 pm »
Looks like ipe to me :)
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline dwardo

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 05:31:22 am »
There are already enough white, yellow and brown bows about and you have green !
Will look great with dome finish on it. Who says u can't make a bow from green wood  ::)

Offline dbb

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2014, 08:14:46 am »
Perfect basecolor  for a camo dyejob  ;D
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

blackhawk

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2014, 10:33:19 am »
Oh quit your whining and make a bow out of it.....by the time you final sand and seal with tru oil a lot of that will go away,and it'll be just fine....its about how it shoots,and not its looks....u could prob put a stain or dye that is darker in color and cover it all up too if you are annoyed by it

Offline RyanR

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2014, 10:43:35 am »
I like the color combinations.  It will be neat to see how it looks finished.  68" that seems kind of short for you. LOL Sorry I couldnt resist.  :laugh:

Offline dane lund

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2014, 11:56:23 am »
I wouldn't suggest aqua fortis on any bow wood. Tracks aqua fortis is still acid, and could weaken the structure of the wood. Needs to be neutralized, etc.
 The modern version of that traditional stain is ferric nitrate, and can be purchase as crystals that you dissolve in water or denatured alcohol. It does the same thing, without the need to be neutralized. Ferric nitrate stains by a chemical reaction with the tannins in the wood, so it reacts differently with each piece of wood.
Try it on a scrap before you use it on your bow.
In His grip,
Smallpatch

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2014, 12:26:32 pm »
Although tru oil looks great on ipe, I hate when it won't dry. (need to pick some acetone up I guess) I like using pure tung oil on ipe though, it darkens up the wood and looks really pretty, where as lighter woods like hickory don't look as good in comparison, in my opinion. Or maybe hickory just needs more coats than ipe.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair