Author Topic: Primitive Archery Research  (Read 9908 times)

Offline bisho034

Primitive Archery Research
« on: January 17, 2014, 05:45:21 pm »
Hey Everyone,

My name is Andrew, and I am extremely interested in primitive archery.  I am so interested, in fact, that I am working on a Ph.D. in Anthropology at ASU, and my research focuses on the understanding the productivity of hunting with traditional technology.  I study this to help archaeologists and anthropologists better understand hunter gatherer economies in ancient history.  To do this research, I need to collect survey data from people who hunt a variety of animals using traditional technology.  If possible, I would love to post a link to the survey, but before I do that, I want to check with the moderators and make sure that I am not violating any rules about "soliciting".

Can someone please let me know if it is okay to promote this survey on this forum?

Thanks!

Andrew Bishop
Graduate Student
Arizona State University

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Primitive Archery Research
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 07:12:36 pm »
You could post link to the survey, just don't make it a direct link.  I usually post the link with three dashes in front of it so it's not clickable.  Example:

---www.somebodyswebsite.com
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline bisho034

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 07:41:42 pm »
Thanks!

Here is the link to the survey: https://asuclas.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_1zXvhWzzOZYk3n7

The survey takes about 20 minutes, and participation is completely anonymous and voluntary.  Participants will be entered into a raffle for a $200 gift card to Woods and Water, Cabelas, or Bass Pro Shops, which will be held May 1st, 2014.

Please participate and help enhance our understanding of paleo-hunting.

Thanks!

Andrew Bishop
Graduate Student
Arizona State University
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 10:28:35 am by mullet »

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 09:44:03 pm »
I took the survey.  Very simple and straightforward.   :)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 10:27:58 am »
I don't see a problem with a direct link, you're not selling archery gear.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 10:42:22 am »
Well, I tried and couldn't get past the last question on the first page. No matter what I put in the kill slot, it wouldn't accept it.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline bisho034

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 06:15:25 pm »
Thank you for those of you that replied!  Mullet - I am going to see if I can figure out the problem that you are having.  Thanks for attempting!

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 06:21:45 pm »
I gave you two rounds of research yesterday. I'll go in and give you another here soon. getting hard to remember every encounter after that tho, I only remember kills prior to this year and the end of last year
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline bisho034

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 06:27:40 pm »
Thanks for the responses Twistedlimbs!  Mullet - Unfortunately I can't figure out why the survey didn't work for you, but thank you again for trying.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 07:48:03 pm »
I'll try again. I had trouble with the, " five hunts/pursuits how many ended in a kill" I put in three to start with and that didn't work and then made up numbers and that didn't work also. Probably misunderstood what the response was. I've tried 1 thru 5 and it keeps saying respond with a valid number.  ???
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 07:56:14 pm by mullet »
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Josh B

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 09:44:45 pm »
I'm having the same problem Eddie.  I'll get out the laptop later this week and see if that works.  Josh

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 07:59:12 am »
Took it,pretty straight forward. :) even for a simple mind like mine. ;)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 12:27:57 pm »
I took it. Pretty simple.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline 1442

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2014, 01:29:01 pm »
I started the survey then quit when I got to the persuit part.
Our game laws have changed to the point that, where I hunt , one would be lucky to kill a legal deer once every ten years.
I encounter all manner of edible animals during my hunting that I dont even consider for food or supplies. Unlike primative people, I have canned soup and bologna at home, I can order buckskin and supplies online and have them delivered to my door. I survive on the mighty dollarthat I earn by working.
Most people now a days hunt as a past time and can live without hunting and not starve. The overwhelming majority of hunters I encounter are more worried about how much beer is in the cooler than actually killing animals and have never ever ventured more than a half mile from the truck or four wheeler. Most consider two hours in a comfy padded chair in a over size heated deer blind as a long hard hunt.
The amount of dollars a person has and is willing to spend to gain access to certain places to hunt has more bearing on overall success than skill at persuit of game does these days.
Modern hunters have differant goals and motivaters than primative people and are not dependent upon a successful hunt to survive, nor do modern hunters need the raw materials gained from a successful hunt. A typical hunter around here throws away everything but the backstraps and major muscles of a deer. Oh! the most prized part is the antlers and the bigger they are it seems like we regard that person as a better hunter because they killed a deer with bigger antlers. Ducks are stripped of their breast meat and the rest is tossed.
I just don't see how modern hunters success rates can shed any light what so ever on how successfull primative hunters where. Technology, money, ego, motives, access to remote areas, and our modern lifestyles are just too differant to make even a good guess at what primative success rates may have been.
Not trying to rain on your parade and I wish you the best of luck with it, I just don't get it.
I do live in SE Texas so that may have a large bearing on my veiw of it and it may work better in other places, but around here it just would not work. Too many fences, regulations, greed and laziness along with ego's built around sucess in the job market more than skill sets built upon experience gianed in the woods actually persuing game.
                           My two cents.   Terry

Offline 1442

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2014, 01:44:28 pm »
I guess your study is trying to filter out most hunters like I reffered to, by stipulating traditional equipment.