Author Topic: Minimum wood around knot hole?  (Read 1313 times)

Offline uncleduck

• Dave W
Minimum wood around knot hole?
« on: January 19, 2014, 01:22:46 pm »
I am working on an osage bow that has a knot hole, about 3/8" diameter, clear through one limb about 3" above the fade near the edge of the limb. I received the stave already split and that left minimal room for working around the outside edge of the knot. As it sits right now, I have followed the grain around the knot on the outside edge of the limb, but there is only about 1/8" of wood between the limb edge and the inside of the hole. I have enough room to omit the hole completely by shifting my limb outline over, but would rather keep the hole to add a little flavor to the bow. I have done two bows with holes through them, just not this close to the edge. Is 1/8" enough to do the job or would I be better off shifting my limb over to omit the hole?  Just wondering if anyone had any advice.   Osage, 62" w a 7" stiff handle/fades, probably looking to get around 50# out of it. Thanks

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Minimum wood around knot hole?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 01:33:44 pm »
When I find staves like that I go for it. It doesn't bother me if it blows, most never do and the sweating was for nuttin'. You may different? If you want a sure bow, cut the hole out. If you want to keep the hole, go for it! I'd leave that 1/2" round area around the knot thicker by 1/32" or more. Hopefully you have at least 1 1/4" of limb left on the side of the hole?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline uncleduck

• Dave W
Re: Minimum wood around knot hole?
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 04:29:11 pm »
Yup, I have about 2" on the other side of the hole, so Ill have plenty of room to lay out a limb. After getting a few more bows under my belt, I'm starting to enjoy the different character in each piece of wood and try to keep as much of it as possible while still getting something that will shoot decent.  I'll go for it with the hole on the edge and see what happens. After all, until its a bow, its only a piece of wood right?