Author Topic: osage staves  (Read 3156 times)

Offline Vincenator

• Ever day is good,some are just better!
osage staves
« on: April 02, 2014, 10:39:39 pm »
Just got a hold of some Osage logs that I split out. I am storing them in my garage and have treated them with a pesticide to deter wood borers.My question is do I leave the bark on or take it off?

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: osage staves
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 10:41:03 pm »
Six of one, half dozen of another.  The main thing is that you split it out and treated for the bugs!  Good job!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 10:43:55 pm »
  The majority of guys who harvest osage remove the bark and the sapwood right away.

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 11:22:34 pm »
Just got a hold of some Osage logs that I split out. I am storing them in my garage and have treated them with a pesticide to deter wood borers.My question is do I leave the bark on or take it off?

The pesticides you get at the home stores I don't think are strong enough any more.
I used Diesel

Just my 2 cents
I would rather fail trying to do something above my means, Than to succeed at something beneath my means.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 11:28:49 pm »
I try to peal and seal all of my staves.  Its cleaner to store them, they take up less room, and the bugs don't mess with them.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline IndianGuy

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 11:56:56 pm »
I seal the ends,leave the bark and let them sit.
E.

Offline hunterbob

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 07:05:19 am »
I do the same as indianGuy

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 07:28:31 am »
How soon do ya need/want to use the wood? If sooner than later then peal bark n sapwood n get some reduced down to parallel dimensions width and thickness to get some drying faster....if ya don't need it for another year and you can store them indoors then just leave the bark n sapwood on for now just sealing the ends

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 10:34:10 am »
If you take the bark and sapwood off while the stave is still green you will be patting yourself on the back somewhere down the road, green stave bark and sapwood removal 1/2 hr tops, dry stave, at least twice as long and maybe several hours.

Offline adb

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2014, 10:39:12 am »
I take off the bark for sure. Sapwood optional. Some guys like to leave the sapwood on their finished bows.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2014, 12:24:46 pm »
Either way will work, Bugs and the fact,like Eric said much harder to do later,I take if off if I have the time. Be sure and seal the back if you remove it or it will check quickly. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Bogaman

• steve white
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2014, 05:31:01 pm »
You're getting lots of good advice. Either way works. For me I like to get the bark and sapwood off of hedge and then seal the ends and back also just for insurance, while it is drying. Like Eric said, it is sure a lot easier to skin it green that it is after it dries.
Plus I'm not crazy about using pesticides on any thing.
You should difinately seal the back if you just take the bark off and leave the sapwood. It will check in a heartbeat as it dries.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2014, 12:23:41 am »
Where I live the green sap wood will check with 4 thick coats of shellac on it, every time. If you cut most of it off but still have a thin ring or two left it will generally survive without checks.

Offline Vincenator

• Ever day is good,some are just better!
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2014, 12:18:29 am »
No problem on the pesticides I use,as I am a district inspector for a pest control co. ;) I don't think the wood borers have a chance!
As for coating the staves with a sealing agent,will thinned down  carpenters glue work?
Thanks ,I will be taking the bark off tomorrow. :)

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2014, 09:57:55 am »
I used wood glue for a sealer at first and did have some checking in the Alabama heat. I switched to shellac as recommended in the Dean Torge's book "Hunting The Osage Bow" and have had no checking unless I leave the sapwood on. The bottom line, your wood is valuable and sometimes difficult to obtain. Spending $15-$20 on a quart of shellac is money well spent, your wood deserves the best.