Author Topic: Bringing the tips back on short bendy handle bows  (Read 4547 times)

Offline half eye

Bringing the tips back on short bendy handle bows
« on: January 10, 2014, 03:40:48 pm »
hey fellas,
     Back on Dec 22, I posted bow called " the how come - why for bow" and since then some guys been wondering about that last 1 to 2 inches of draw.
     I made the comment on some that they could bring the tips back a bit more to gain an inch or so of draw without giving up any draw weight. Thought I better show what I meant by that so nobody goes wreckin a good bow because of a misunderstanding.

I used the bow previously mentioned because it would benefit from a little more draw length. So I got a full draw pic from when I posted it, then there is a second full draw after 10/15 scrapes, and then a 3rd full draw after 10 more. After those there is a full draw of a different bow. (the reason is the first bow has flipped tips so the bend looks a little different, and the second bow is what ya get with a single curve "true D bow".
     So there would be no cnfussion of where this scraping was done, I painted the belly of the upper limb tip black first, then scraped and rephotographed so you know exactly where I screaped and what the effect was on the full draw profile. This is the second set of photographs.

As usual I probably forgot to cover something so PLEASE, if there are any questions please advise.
rich

I forgot to say the last pic is to show that while the limbs look straight at full draw they still have their flipped tips in tact, the shot is unbraced right after the last full draw was taken.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 03:44:18 pm by half eye »

Offline half eye

Re: Bringing the tips back on short bendy handle bows
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 03:42:16 pm »
second set of pics

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 01:34:31 am »
Awesome, that's a serious looking bow, thanks for doing the paint thing that's good to actually see where you took it off, clever trick

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 05:58:41 am »
Rich,
           I can definitely see the tip movement in pic 009. You got all that limb working...Nice bend 8)

Don

Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline half eye

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 10:30:51 am »
thanks Peacebow, Don   I just try to eliminate as much ? as I can and think that the visual aides are more explanatory than just words.  Speaking of which....

On the "scraping" process, I hold the bow in my lap with the left hand and scrape with the right hand.....so that means the pressure on the scraper is pretty light, compared to a bench mounted bow and 2 hands on the scraper.
rich

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 03:12:15 pm »
Cool Thread!

Thank You for sharing your process and thinking.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 12:17:12 pm »
Thanks Rich that cleared some thing up in my head for sure.  I will be trying that on the shorty I've got planned. :)

Offline half eye

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 12:23:35 pm »
no problem sir, just remember that a flipped tip is gonna look different than a single curve :)
rich