Author Topic: Adding carvings  (Read 19434 times)

Offline lostarrow

Re: Adding carvings
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2014, 05:23:53 pm »
Yeah , the only problem is ,that to get that colour of blue ,you have to use waterbased finishes for top coat or it will turn green. I usually prefer  a rubbed oil finish to prevent build up. C'est la vie.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2014, 05:48:39 pm »

Excellent!!k  Thanks for sharing. 8)  Excellent work, and explanation, on the tools, and uses.  I used to d0 quite a bit of carving wax, for master molds for jewelers, and some Tagua nuts, and a lot of bone.  Nice job.  Wha,t you aren't going to do the mermaid's tail in green, and her body, in flesh, and her hair in gold? ;)  Excellent as is.  Kinda difficult to stop, isn't it.  You see a space, and start to think what if....... ;)

Wayne

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2014, 08:02:23 pm »
   Not sure if I'm getting what you're saying in your message ( pain is making me cross eyed at the moment) but I'll answer what I think you're asking ;) This one is going to be painted up  But I did like the way the white stood out against the background . I prefer brunettes myself ;D but might do something funky with the hair like the kids are doing these days. (Crap ,that made me sound old!)
    The post isn't over yet!

Excellent!!k  Thanks for sharing. 8)  Excellent work, and explanation, on the tools, and uses.  I used to d0 quite a bit of carving wax, for master molds for jewelers, and some Tagua nuts, and a lot of bone.  Nice job.  Wha,t you aren't going to do the mermaid's tail in green, and her body, in flesh, and her hair in gold? ;)  Excellent as is.  Kinda difficult to stop, isn't it.  You see a space, and start to think what if....... ;)

Wayne

Offline Zuma

« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2014, 09:00:46 pm »
Bow Dacious,
Talent, perserverence and bliss. What a combo, brother.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2014, 02:43:00 am »
Well , here's the last bit. Painting. Not much to say , but keep it thin , build up the colours and take it slow.
     Sorry but I was pretty well finished the mermaid before I realised I  wasn't taking progress pics. Like I said though , not much to tell.

Start with the colours in the deepest recesses and work your way out , so you don't mess up the work you've already done. As well, keep in mind that it's easier to paint a dark colour over a light , and a bugger to do the opposite. I paint my carvings with the same technique you would a canvas. Set up base coat colour, then add shading and highlights to add depth. Really makes it stand out. Also keep in mind we will be top coating this and the colours will get darker and muted.
      The tail of the Mermaid was painted using green mixed with metallic gold. This gives it a bit of shimmer like scales. Add coats of progressively darker paint starting at the edges and feathering it in to nothing in the middle.This not only adds depth, but creates an iridescent effect. I think I caught it with the camera ,but if I didn't ,it changes colour as you move it. Her's the pics.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 02:49:56 am by lostarrow »

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2014, 03:06:30 am »
 With the shells you can see I started add in detail to the first 2 but the top is still the base coat.  If you add very thin stripes of various shades of the same colour around the shell ,then blend them in with a dry brush , you get the effect of growth rings found on scallopand mussel shells.
   With the leaves, I establish my base coat , add the darker colours in the crevasses,andbuild up with highlights of progressively lighter colours on the high spots. Then I go back in with a wash coat of the darker colour using my liner brush (very thin with long bristles for making fine lines) in the deeper recesses once again to blend in the shading effect. 

If you were staining instead of painting, you would use a stain  followed by a glaze( to darken the deeper areas. If you wanted to highlight even more, you would give a very light sand  on the highest spots and then follow with the stain again. The high spots would now be stained but not as dark as the rest, giving you three shades of colour to make the carving stand out.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2014, 03:12:05 am »
 Spray on Waterbased Satin poly to finish it up. the water base won't change the colours and the satin will keep the shine from interfering with the detail.
  As a side note : the detail that can't be achieved on this small scale when using a wood like Hickory has been added with the paint. Certain things like the thin wisps of hair  and facial features.  Most of the face is just a slight suggestion .The mind makes up what it doesn't see,and usually makes it  more appealing to the veiwers eye than if the details were there.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 03:19:35 am by lostarrow »

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2014, 12:24:41 pm »
Really great work.
I like alot both carving and engravings.
To be honest i preferred the engravings before colouring but still a very good work

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2014, 12:39:12 pm »
Thanks. I like them without paint as well 'but  I wanted this one to kind of look like the old "Figure Heads " on the front of ships. Kind of a theme thing. This one is for my daughters friend .He absolutely loves Mermaids.This is the one I did for his father last year.
 http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,39576.msg527272.html#msg527272

........ but this is one likely more your preference.
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,42808.msg574121.html#msg574121
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 12:46:24 pm by lostarrow »

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2014, 07:51:22 pm »
I'd have a hard time shooting something like that....
It's looks like a piece of art work
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2014, 09:19:51 pm »
Thanks. I like them without paint as well 'but  I wanted this one to kind of look like the old "Figure Heads " on the front of ships. Kind of a theme thing. This one is for my daughters friend .He absolutely loves Mermaids.This is the one I did for his father last year.
 http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,39576.msg527272.html#msg527272

........ but this is one likely more your preference.
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,42808.msg574121.html#msg574121

Holy Cow!!! (Using My Best Gandi Impression...)
I missed That Bow Completely!
Awesome Paint Work and Carving on That One!

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2014, 08:22:38 pm »
WOW!!!!! this is awesome, great theme through out. Really made me think about getting into carving.
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2014, 10:38:32 pm »
Thanks Guys! The young man should be coming tomorrow evening to get it. I'll see if he'll pose for some pics.

Offline bigbob2

« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2014, 04:48:20 am »
Terrific work! Congrats.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2014, 11:17:58 am »
wow that;s nice work there lostarrow! Just happend to look at theis post and glad I did! dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)