Author Topic: whip bow?  (Read 5040 times)

Offline echatham

whip bow?
« on: January 22, 2014, 08:04:38 pm »
This is a page out of "the American Boy's Handybook" published in 1880 by Daniel Carter Beard, co founder of the boy scouts.  Its a neat idea that im gonna play around with.  Anyone know of any historical... Or prehistorical use of such a weapon?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: whip bow?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 08:20:16 pm »
Never seen it before. I'd be worried about it not releasing and whipping around and sticking me in the right butt cheek.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline echatham

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 08:23:34 pm »
Good call.  Gotta check for loose nock fit.  There's some incredibly dangerous stuff in this book for kids... For instance... affixing razor blades and glass shards to a kite's tail for a friendly game of "war kites"

Offline Josh B

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 08:38:54 pm »
Made those when i was a kid.  Except we made the darts out of cedar shingles.  You could get 300 yds easy.  Josh

Offline echatham

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 08:53:00 pm »
Nice

Offline Josh B

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 09:12:24 pm »
Here's how we made the darts out of cedar shingles.  Most lumberyards sell shims that are tapered like the old shingles.  Using the full length of the shingle you cut the basic shape as illustrated below with the thick end being the point and the thin end being the fin.  You then found the balance point of the dart and cut your string knock just forward of that point.  They were two person jobbies when i was a kid.  The strongest kid was the thrower and the other kid stood behind him and barely held the fin of the dart to point it in the right direction.  The two man system really launched em a long way.  Josh

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 09:44:14 pm »
I'm interested in a friendly game of war kites actually  >:D

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 10:31:22 pm »
Looks like a variation on the "Swiss arrow" or "Dutch arrow".  Arrows launched with the aid of strings has been around for a long time but no one seems to know when the idea was put into general use.  It may never have been popular.

The string used to launch the arrow was usually attached to the hand but can also be attached to the end of a stick.  The "whip bow" looks like a version of the stick-assisted thrower where the stick is very flexible.  Not sure if this flexibility helps or not.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline echatham

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 11:05:50 pm »
This is gonna be fun.  Hope i never grow up  ;D

Offline Mohawk13

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 01:05:30 am »
Reminds me of the old SNL skit with Dan Akroyd and Jane Curtain...."The Bag of Glass and Johnny assault rifle with bayonet...Great, Fabulous Toys for kids.."   LOL...Makes running with scissors look alot less dangerous...My how times have changed(Read Don'T Lawyers take the fun out of getting hurt!!!!)
He That Raises the sword against us, Shall be cleaved upon seven fold-Talmud.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 10:55:01 am »
Simialer to the Baton de commandement.. A french atlatl
Thanks leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2014, 11:13:28 am »
There's a bit on the Ralph Payne Gallwey book on the crossbow, apparently throwing arrows (with a knotted string) was big in the North of England  (Yorkshire) especially in the mining communities. Big money was wagered on who could throw the furthest, there would be a couple of thousand spectators! The arrows were naturally tapered Hazel wands with no flights. The record was 372 yards!
31" arrow, 3/16 at the tail 5/16 at the head, weight a little over 1/2 oz
Del
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 11:17:22 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

HikingViking

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2014, 03:34:42 pm »
I love the American Boys book, I read it so much growing up that it has fallen apart into pieces.  And yes, you're right, 2/3 of the stuff in there is far too dangerous, haha, thats what makes it so great!