Author Topic: What in the heck is wrong with my bandsaw?  (Read 18410 times)

Offline lostarrow

Re: What in the heck is wrong with my bandsaw?
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2014, 12:21:13 pm »
Wait a minute. Where you are checking the wheels for alignment. If you are only checking down the part nearest the axels ,that is not giving you the whole picture. They axels may be perfectly aligned  and the center of the wheels may be true but if the top is twisted  in relation to the bottom wheel along the vertical axis ,it will pull the blade off.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2014, 12:47:31 pm »
Wait a minute. Where you are checking the wheels for alignment. If you are only checking down the part nearest the axels ,that is not giving you the whole picture. They axels may be perfectly aligned  and the center of the wheels may be true but if the top is twisted  in relation to the bottom wheel along the vertical axis ,it will pull the blade off.

When I checked, I checked the whole thing with a level (straight edge I mean). Here is a video I took, it doesn't move back and forth as much as it has been, it is kinda hard to see, you can see it better when I turn it off and it slows down I think better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sme2WmrLhqo&feature=youtu.be
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2014, 12:51:34 pm »
Before or after shimming? Was it this blade that you Jammed the piece of horn with? Have you tried a different blade?   Do you like how I have 3 questions for every answer  you  give ?haha ;D

lol It was an older woodslicer blade, this is a brand new one. I think it was before shimming it.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2014, 01:15:52 pm »
Top wheel is wobbling a bit,But it looks like it's tracking fine. The rear bearing is too far back,I'm assuming it just isn't set yet. When looking at it from the front ,where does the blade run on that back bearing? And what's going on with the bottom blocks and bearing

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2014, 01:28:19 pm »
If it's the wobble from front to back you are wondering about, it's being caused by the wobble on the top wheel. Looks like it's warped.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2014, 01:39:06 pm »
Re read your original post. That top wheel is definitely the cause of the problem. the tires are fine , it's the wheel itself. The re isn't any play  ,so it isn't the bearing.  It could be the shaft is bent.or it could be the wheel is warped. If you look from head on at the shaft, does it seem to wobble when running? if not It's the wheel. It's not that uncommon to have a little wobble. If you adjust the bearing to the back of the blade and don't tighten it, then spin the wheel by hand you can see how much it deviates. 1/4 " is a lot  1/16" isn't great ,but not horrible. You didn't by chance pry on the wheel when shimming did you? :-X Don't take that as an insult if you didn't . If you did ,.................. just tell me you didn't ,and chock it up to lesson learned. ;)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 01:44:42 pm by lostarrow »

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2014, 01:43:52 pm »
 Should still cut OK. Might have always been warped and you notice more with this blade. Sometimes the weld on the blade is also not perfect and can cause a bit of a "kink " that will throw the whole think out of whack ,not just at the weld. This could be adding to the problem and exagerating the wheel problem.I'm sure if we all went and checked , all of our saws will have that same bit of wobble. I'm going right now :laugh:
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 01:49:56 pm by lostarrow »

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2014, 01:57:58 pm »
I can't check mine.  My band saw only has one wheel right now  :'( 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2014, 01:59:22 pm »
Sorry, Mine only has about 1/64" of deviation, which i will chock up to the blade .
I can't check mine.  My band saw only has one wheel right now  :'( 
Did you have a warped one?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2014, 02:01:53 pm »
Nope.  It was straight until it snapped in half.  That was on a 12" craftsman.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2014, 02:04:59 pm »
Nope.  It was straight until it snapped in half.  That was on a 12" craftsman.

Dang! That sucks! On mine, it doesn't look like it's wobbling when I spin it to my eye? I will have to recheck it. I can line it up ok to the back roller guide, but when I start cutting it jumps off by as much as 1/4", or maybe more. Like it's trying to jump off the wheels. I guess it's not doing it too much when it's not cutting. I got all the roller guides backed off in the video.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2014, 02:16:15 pm »
If you look in the video you can see the wobble on the wheel. Don't focus on the black rubber tire , but on the aluminum wheel itself.  You can see it from  42sec to 56 sec. on the vid. You won't see it when you spin by hand , it's when the saw is switched off and it starts to slow down.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2014, 04:07:25 pm »
Well, your video helped. That back and forth motion you're noticing is from a less than perfect blade. I get that from time to time with new bandsaw blades also.  Only problem it causes me is the thump thump thump against my thrust bearing when I'm cutting..........Art

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2014, 04:57:05 pm »
If you look in the video you can see the wobble on the wheel. Don't focus on the black rubber tire , but on the aluminum wheel itself.  You can see it from  42sec to 56 sec. on the vid. You won't see it when you spin by hand , it's when the saw is switched off and it starts to slow down.

Okee Dokey, will check it out...

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2014, 05:00:40 pm »

Ok, I see what your saying I think.