Author Topic: Plum for Pinecone, a camera phone build along  (Read 19916 times)

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
Plum for Pinecone, a camera phone build along
« on: January 29, 2014, 02:44:18 am »
Full disclosure... I started this project in late October, early November. Was planning on finishing by Christmas and than life happened. As I start this post I just braced the bow (10 minutes ago) for the first time, so no guarantees this will have a happy ending.

Here's the short story. Bryce and I decided to do a bow swap back in September. Needless to say I was stoked on the prospect, and fully expected to get the better end of the deal, (if you haven't checked out Pinecone's bows... get on the stick).

I had a feeling Bryce would be preferring a plum bow... as its not much secret that I tend to favor plum over other woods. I was fortunate enough to do some pruning on a nice purple leaf plum in my sisters yard.  Figured I'd post the process, of building this bow, however (further disclosures) (1) my camera is busted, so I'm using my phone camera (takes decent pics) and (2) my shop isn't what you'd call... Gordons shop (for example  ;)).

If that didn't scare you off, lets get this show on the road:

Here is the little PLP that this stave came from. I cut this in fall, so she doesn't have all her glorious purple leaves...

The stave was 2.5 inches in diameter tapering to 2 inches on the small end. When I cut it it was 72 inches long.

On these small diameter pieces, I read the bark for twist, but I always start with a hatchet to rough the bow out. I picked the belly by trying minimize heat treating for string alignment (a profile where the tips where almost inline) and a slightly deflexed inner limb profile, which I tend to prefer. This layout (what side of the stave I picked for the belly)resulted in a moderately high crown, but PLP is both elastic and strong in tension, so I'm not too concerned with a high-ish crown.

My primary goal in roughing the bow out was to get the limbs reduced down past the pith. If you don't remove material past the pith in PLP, it's been my experience that there is almost no way to avoid the bow checking.  But if reduce past the pith, and dry carefully, I usually don't have to much problem with checking.

Once I have roughed out the stave with my hatchet, I put the bow in the vice to make sure that the two 'planes' of my limbs are paralleled (meaning, to make sure I'm not introducing twist shaping my limbs in an uneven way).  I than work the limbs down a little more with the draw knife as I even them out.

Once I had the stave reasonably roughed out I wrapped it in plastic wrap to prevent checking (at least I tried). My drying process for drying small diameter PLP is: rough the bow out, wrap in plastic, let sit for 2-3 weeks away from heat, cut holes in plastic (1-2 weeks), remove plastic (1 week), dry indoors near the fire 2 week.  This 7-8 week process gets the wood dry, although not seasoned (not getting into that debate here). I bring the bow inside as I work on it and based on how slow I am, that gives it a few more months of drying time ;D ;D

Lots more to come...
Humboldt County CA.

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
Re: Plum for Pinecone, a camera phone build along
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 03:02:58 am »
Oh boy. I've got two or three staves worth of plumb on my grandparents' property, this should be perfect.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 03:09:31 am »
Here's the stave wrapped in plastic

Well, a few weeks later, after I unwrapped the bow, I was bummed to see that the handle area had checked. This was totally my fault because I forgot to put glue over the place where the pith enters the handle.  While you can remove material past the pith in the bow limbs, you can't avoid pith in the handle (unless you do a glued on riser, which I didn't want to do).

So, I pontificated on what to do for a while with the handle check.  I finally decided, for some crazy reason (more to come on this) that I should cut out a v shaped inlay to replace the checked are in the handle.  Basically, inlay a square piece of wood, on a 90% edge into the handle.  To cut out the inlay, I first squared off the top of handle area.

Than I built a jig for my japanese pull saw that would allow me to cut a grove that was 90% relative to the face of my squared off handle.

The result was reasonably good, and with a little squaring work from my trusty cabinet scraper, I was ready to glue in my inlay.  I chose some darl rosewood scraps that I had laying around for the inlay. I mixed up some epoxy, fit the squared piece of rosewood into my grove and tied it with string

Once it was dry (24 hours) I removed the string, and roughly shaped out the handle area.

I thought all was well, but... 36 hours later, the handle contracted and the groove widened in the warmer Sonoma County air (I was working on the bow at my folks house).  This resulted in one side of my inlay pulling out...

So back to work... I had to remove the old inlay material, and replace it....

New inlay went in well, and I did some extra shaping

Humboldt County CA.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 03:34:01 am »
Yes Sir!

I'm watching!

Shame about losing the first Inlay...
But it looks Real Nice Now.

Wish my Plumb looked that Purty...
The stuff I have growing here is Ugly As Sin.
And not Bow Worthy.

:)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 04:38:10 am »
Extraordinary idea for the riser. That will look fantastic on the finished bow!
Frank from Germany...

Offline WillS

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 07:05:11 am »
Stunning.  Really.

Don't suppose you could provide some more pics or details on that angled saw jig?  Looks like it might lend itself to splices as well!

Offline smoke

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 09:17:39 am »
Thanks for posting this - I'm learning a lot by your efforts!

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 09:21:15 am »
Smart solution for filling in that handle check Gabe, thats some great thinking and is gonna look nice to boot. Would have been a shame to lose a nice looking stave like that one because of the check. Looking forward to seeing more of this build along.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline adb

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 09:58:08 am »
Very cool way to pull off the riser/grip! Should look fantastic when you're done.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 10:49:24 am »
Love these types of posts.  Looks like a great solution to the problem.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline rps3

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 10:59:25 am »
Interesting buildalong, I will be following.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 11:49:09 am »
This is a great build along.  Fantastic idea for the check.  Love the look of the points coming out of the fades very clean and classy.  Can't wait to see more.  In the next town over one of my clients has an old plum orchard that hasn't been taken care of for about fifteen years.  She told me I could come out when it would be best to prune for the trees sake.  I can't wait to go check it out. 

Offline Will H

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 11:49:38 am »
Awesome :) can't wait to see the progress! I'm a big fan of your plumb bows, gonna have to give that wood a try someday.
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 11:51:33 am »
That is a nice piece of plum.  Way to overcome the handle checks.  That will look awesome.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2014, 12:55:44 pm »
Thanks you guys!  I'll post responses and more pics today after work...

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.