Author Topic: UK Trade-bow. Guaging interest, thoughs please  (Read 1973 times)

Offline dwardo

UK Trade-bow. Guaging interest, thoughs please
« on: January 30, 2014, 11:55:55 am »
Hi all,

With the risk of shipping across the pond not to mention the cost I was wondering if a UK trade-bow would be a good idea?
Of-course this depends on how many there are of us over here that are willing to sign up.

So lets hear how many UK bowyers are out there and fancy giving this a try?

If there are few to no takers then we can maybe discuss group shipping, Might be all eggs in one basket but may be able to save some cash and get good insurance.

Leon.

Offline WillS

Re: UK Trade-bow. Guaging interest, thoughs please
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 02:04:17 pm »
I think it's an ace idea.  Personally,  I wouldn't feel comfortable promising a bow to somebody with my current level (or lack of) ability in making bows, but hopefully I'll be able to soon!  How many guys on here are from the UK? I can only think of you and Del and possibly one other?

Offline dwardo

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 03:50:22 pm »
Well I guess us UK bowyers are in short supply. :laugh:
I hope that changes one day. I am certainly trying to infect others with the bug.

Offline Shamusrobert

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 04:26:12 pm »
Hi dawdo, don't mean to go of topic but I saw a recent thead where guys where trying to get Osage into the uk. Was wondering if you have try to source it from Hungary or germany, I have seen one hungarian website selling Osage staves, not sure if shipping would be cheeper than the states.

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 05:36:37 pm »
may be in short supply now dwardo, but look's like you and wills could do a trade, I love doing private trades
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline WillS

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 05:45:51 pm »
If Dwardo wants a badly tillered yew longbow that takes a year to finish, I'm in...!

Offline dwardo

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 06:07:23 pm »
If Dwardo wants a badly tillered yew longbow that takes a year to finish, I'm in...!

No thanks mate got loads of those already ;)

Just dont think the numbers are there. We need to be planting the seed over here and getting the numbers up.

Offline WillS

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 06:48:50 pm »
Judging purely on the biggest archery forum here in the UK, the majority of people who get into archery go straight for Olympic style recurve or compound as that's what clubs push them into.  If they are at all interested in trad bows they tend to spend half a grand on laminated longbows and assume that they're shooting traditional equipment. 

It's probably a better bet to target craftsmen - guys who work with wood or are into bushcraft which is a fast growing thing at the moment here!

I'll be very interested once I get some flatbows and shortbows under my belt - all I've ever made is longbows from yew or ash.  I need to branch out more!

Offline DuBois

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 09:06:41 pm »
I do hope you guys find enough to get yours going though. If not, I am willing to ship to UK if I get a bow from UK in the trade.
Maybe a post to find interest in group shipments from both sides of the pond would be good if it doesn't take off. Best wishes folks, Marco.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 10:32:48 pm »

Trust me, it does NOT take a year to badly tiller a bow!  I know this to be true!  LOL!

Let's let this thread soak a little longer.  Del has yet to chip in his tuppence.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.