Author Topic: "The Hoosiers" and Osage  (Read 7605 times)

Offline nclonghunter

"The Hoosiers" and Osage
« on: January 30, 2014, 10:07:33 pm »
Just wondering if any one else ever noticed on the movie "The Hoosiers" with Gene Hackman, when he was walking along a farm road with Barbara Hershey, all the giant Osage trees along the road. The Osage balls were scattered all along the road....

Wonder where that farm is in Indiana?
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline osage outlaw

Re: "The Hoosiers" and Osage
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 10:32:18 pm »
I haven't watched that movie since I got into bow making.  I'll have to check it out.  The school that the movie is based upon is about 45 minutes away from me.  I don't know where it was filmed.  I'll try to find out.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline TRACY

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 10:57:44 pm »
Watched it in the last few months and also noticed that there are "hedgerows" in several of the background scenes outside. Don't know exact location but most farmland around here have hedgerows as wind breaks to reduce erosion. A lot were planted back in the early 1900's and are still alive and blocking the wind. I've got a couple places that I have been cutting for firewood for over thirty years now. Want to have some fun, call the IDNR tree nursery and tell them you want to purchase some Osage seedlings >:D hold the earpiece away from your ear LOL,

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 11:06:37 pm »
I was always told that osage was planted because it was high enough to keep horses in, thick enough to keep cattle in and hard enough to keep hogs from eating out. Something like that. It used to be advertised that way. That;s what one of my naturalist buddies tells me. dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 09:18:49 am »
There is a YouTube of "Gene Hackman and Barbara Hershey walk" that shows the Osage balls on the road...found it this morning.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 10:02:03 am »
Looks like if it could be in Indiana and around Bloomington, if so, it would be South of town or in Owen County West of town. Some of the show was filmed in Bloomington, but I'm pretty sure some was filmed other places. I remember hearing that Gene Hackman was in town for some of the filming, though. Good eye on finding osage all the same!! dp

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 10:02:13 am »
Osage was the pre-barb wire fencing of the day, planted thickly in trenches and pruned to produce it's thorny sprouts in abundance, it was an impenetrable barrier to livestock.

Barb wire was invented in the 1867 with the modern patent posted in 1874, this invention put an end to the labor intensive use of osage fence rows to contain livestock.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 10:17:09 am »
My mom's family is from Bedford.  I believe my Grandpa graduated from Oolitic High School?  Wanna do some exploring around there this summer.  Maybe I'll nock on your door Clint!
1’—>1’

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 10:34:11 am »
My mom's family is from Bedford.  I believe my Grandpa graduated from Oolitic High School?  Wanna do some exploring around there this summer.  Maybe I'll nock on your door Clint!

You better be knocking on my door Parnell. I live about 1/2 hour from Bedford and 15 from Bloomington.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 11:00:20 am »
Heck yeah Derick.  Hmm, that could be a fun little pow wow.  I'll be spending time over in Ohio for awhile so I'm thinking a road trip over there.  I also have rights to go into Ft. Knox in Kentucky to visit the old family farm cemetary where they were displaced from and went to Bedford.  Been wanting to do this trip for a couple years.
1’—>1’

Offline Marks

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2014, 11:05:31 am »
I haven't watched that movie since I got into bow making.  I'll have to check it out.  The school that the movie is based upon is about 45 minutes away from me.  I don't know where it was filmed.  I'll try to find out.

It funny how different you look at things before and after you start certain hobbies.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2014, 11:53:39 am »
Indiana has the best osage in the country, at least I think so! Ive used from maybe 5-6 states and I can sure tell Indiana wood from the more southern states.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2014, 12:03:12 pm »
Let me know when you are going to be up here Parnell.  I'm not very close to Bedford though. 

Our property lines are marked with hedge rows.  I don't think they are close enough to be used as fences. 

Marks, before I started making bows I thought osage was only good for fire wood and tree stands.  It heated our house for 20+ years.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2014, 12:10:54 pm »
Where Hoosiers was filmed:

Danville, Indiana

St. Philip Neri Catholic School Gym - 545 Eastern Avenue, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA

Brownsburg, Indiana, (Deer Lick Sectionals Gymnasium)

Hinkle Fieldhouse - 510 W. 49th Street, Butler University, Indianapolis, Indiana

Knightstown, Indiana,(gymnasium in Knightstown)

Lebanon, Indiana, (Theater Marquee)

Memorial Gymnasium, Lebanon, Indiana, (Gymnasium Interiors)

New Richmond, Indiana

Nineveh, Indiana, (demolished Nineveh school, is now a post office)

Wishard Memorial Hospital - 1001 W. 10th Street, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
(hospital scene)

Offline Parnell

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2014, 01:29:56 pm »
Let me know when you are going to be up here Parnell.  I'm not very close to Bedford though. 

Our property lines are marked with hedge rows.  I don't think they are close enough to be used as fences. 

Marks, before I started making bows I thought osage was only good for fire wood and tree stands.  It heated our house for 20+ years.

I will.  Probably be mid-July.  As far as being "not close", down here in Florida the next closest place I consider is Tampa and that is 2.5 hours away!  We'll just keep it in mind. :)
1’—>1’