Author Topic: Flaming Arrow  (Read 9289 times)

Don Case

Re: Flaming Arrow
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2014, 02:09:13 pm »
How about a disk or lump that the flame can sorta hide behind. Or mix a little saltpeter with the pitch. Bat guano and pitch, that'll do it.
Don

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2014, 02:36:35 pm »
When you get it working I suggest the first village you attack is Orlando and Disney. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2014, 02:41:53 pm »
How about a disk or lump that the flame can sorta hide behind. Or mix a little saltpeter with the pitch. Bat guano and pitch, that'll do it.
Don
... I actually have access to some bat guano.  I like that idea!

When you get it working I suggest the first village you attack is Orlando and Disney. ;D
Hahaha, and all the tourists will think it's just part of the show! 
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline bowsandroses

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2014, 04:29:33 pm »
Ok! Agreed best Olympic opener ever. Man that was cooooool! Makes me want to go shoot a trough full of gas. Oh wait we are in drought conditions here may get the wrong folks over excited. :o Oh well maybe next year. ::)
My two cents worth of wisdom
One who seeks solitude will find their inner spirit.

A man who speaks to critters is a man with an audience who listens
                                              Hugh Ridenour

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2014, 09:54:40 pm »
Well, burning wagon trains happened, but not as often as Western movies make it look. Too much valuable loot going up in flames. If there was a chance the wagon could be captured, that's what would be done. Might be able to capture guns, metal tools, food, clothes, knives, axes, and other gear. The wagon would be burned afterwards since that makes it easier to get the rims off the wheels to make arrowheads. So sometimes the assumption was made fire arrows burned the wagons.

With my people, before Europeans arrived, we'd fire villages in war. Since the dwellings had thatch roofs, this was easily done. The Spaniards made sketches of this being done. We had textiles, so we could wrap an arrow in fiber cordage, soak this in hickory nut oil or bear fat, and use this. Those crude arrowheads you find in the Southeast are often the points used for fire arrows. There's no reason to knapping a great point for an arrow you're just going to launch on fire into a thatch roof and not be able to recover. These points are often thick and heavy so they'd dig deep into the thatch. There wasn't a whole lot of need to worry about loot since anything they had was stuff we could make ourselves anyway. Besides, the places that were worth looting were obvious. They were sitting atop mounds.
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2014, 10:08:25 pm »
Don

Well Sargent Batguano, if that IS your real name...

:)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2014, 11:12:22 pm »
Tim
plant fibers rolled into pine tar as you apply it to shaft building up in layers
use a long shaft with big feathers and a low poundage bow it all helps to slow arrow speed
this is not that hard you will get there I am sure, If not come to the Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous on Memorial weekend and we will show you how to burn your world down
just have to do it undercover of dark
Have fun!
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline DGF

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2014, 01:25:28 am »
If not come to the Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous on Memorial weekend and we will show you how to burn your world down
just have to do it undercover of dark
Have fun!
Guy

Raiding the castle this year Guy?

-Dan
Wyoming, MI

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2014, 08:20:31 am »
Just remembering those who have gone before us !

I ain't no fool to storm that castle would bring down the full wrath of Maid Merriam and all her band of merry men!

Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !