Author Topic: Your take on technology  (Read 4909 times)

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

Your take on technology
« on: February 03, 2014, 08:46:58 pm »
So what do yall think of technology? I think it is useful for some things... but I don't need to know that you just brushed your cat on facebook.
As for phones- I think that they are great, until you pay more attention to your phone than your friends or other human beings.

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline PrimitiveTim

Re: Your take on technology
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 09:03:01 pm »
I think it's all about responsible resource and labor management.... whatever that is.  Cell phones are great for the developed world but it probably sucks for the African folks in the coltan mines.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 09:36:09 pm »
Micro wave ovens are nice :).
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

JacksonCash

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 10:59:39 pm »
Technology does a lot of wonderful things for us. Even if we don't use it in day to day life, there is a lot that people take for granted that we wouldn't have otherwise.

Tim- As far as africa goes- much of the continent is now connected to the outside world via cell phones. This was prohibitively expensive with landlines due to the large amount of infrastructure involved. Much less needed to put up the towers, and some generators. Granted, we'd probably laugh at the reception quality and reliability but it is better than nothing. --- Just finished reading what you said after I typed the last paragraph- yes the resources we are using for these bits and bobs are bleeding our planet dry, and the methods used to extract them are mostly horrid. People think peak oil will be an issue. Just wait till we see peak iridium, or something along those lines.

My personal take on technology (which may go against the grain with folks on this site) is that our kids don't get enough proper exposure to it in school. Sure, everyone and their brother is giving middle school kids tablets and laptops, but how many of those kids are actually learning how those things work as opposed to simply how to use them? We don't do nearly enough to prepare children for the world they will be living in. We are behind the times when it comes to technology education. Estonia starts teaching programming to 1st graders. 1st grade! There is a reason that every big hacking story you hear about has its roots in eastern europe- Those are the people with the skills to pull it off. Not saying that I approve of the behavior, but still... There is so much benefit people can get from learning some simple programming, from logic to creative problem solving, to the feeling of actually creating something that didn't exist before. That last part is something I know one or two of you here can get behind.  ;)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 12:23:34 am »
Technology is a direct result of human existence. Whether it be lithic technology or cyber technology.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 08:22:10 am »
Lots of folks say they don't like or need Technology,that is until they don't have it
then you find MOST whining about it,like the elect is off or TV is out/computer is down or car won't run and just in the last few year/phone won't pick up in such and such an area. Kind of funny to me to hear folks put it down but if it involves them it's OK. Like it or not it is here to stay and is only going to be more of it and  moving much quicker than in the past. ???
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 09:30:10 am »
Tools are tools for good or bad they are just tools , use them wisely !
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Robby101

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 09:48:06 am »
I've been told all my life, " Man, you were born in the wrong century"! Maybe so, I don't know, but I do know wouldn't have reached this one without penicillin.
Robby

Offline Marks

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 11:13:31 am »
Nobody here can talk too much about being anti technology. Your on an internet forum. lol.
Personally I love technology. I have a smart phone, a laptop, an xbox, a 4wd truck, gps, powertools, Heating/AC, microwave. I love all of it. I'm tinkering with primitive stuff for fun. I'd sure hate to have to rely on it for survival. I enjoy a good power outage and I love being out in nature and camping and anything outdoors. I crave it but I want my modern luxuries back after a while.

Don Case

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 01:25:05 pm »
I just wish someone would invent a quiet generator. Nothing like enjoying the first cup of coffee out camping and having the next campsite flash up the generator to dry her hair >:( >:(

Offline bow101

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 01:45:53 pm »
I have nothing against technology, its just the disassociation that the current generation has, well some of them anyway.
I hate visiting people when they totally ignore you, don't even say hello, and they sit there looking into thier I-phones and texting.  Its an epidemic in our modern world. 

I love technology for all the advances they have made in the medical field and have improved some aspects of every day life.  But in the end its better sometimes to be sitting in a log cabin smoking a pipe having the odd whiskey, feeding the fireplace and having good conversation with another... :)
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Parnell

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 02:06:22 pm »
I'm waiting for technology to give me back sight in my left eye!  It's on the way!  Hopefully they'll be able to give me night vision while they're at it, heads up smart technology in my sight field, internet access, video recording ability, hell the whole 9 yards.
Scary thing is we're closer to it than away from the access. 

From what I read, science has already jumped the gap transferring information from computing systems to biological nervous tissue.

Next, I want to be able to become invisible on demand.   ;D
1’—>1’

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 04:12:06 pm »
I'm waiting for technology to give me back sight in my left eye!  It's on the way!  Hopefully they'll be able to give me night vision while they're at it, heads up smart technology in my sight field, internet access, video recording ability, hell the whole 9 yards.
Scary thing is we're closer to it than away from the access. 

From what I read, science has already jumped the gap transferring information from computing systems to biological nervous tissue.

Next, I want to be able to become invisible on demand.   ;D
I dunno about on demand, but there are invisibility cloaks now.
hiding things about the size of a paperclip.

As for the anti-tech things I said- I mean that I think it has its place. If you are texting WHILE talking with friends.... Don't get me started...
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Mohawk13

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2014, 04:50:31 pm »
Technology has taken away the dreamer and inventor of yesteryear. Men and Women would get an idea in their head, dream it, manufacture it and bring it to fruition. Today everything is available at the push of a button. Lets be honest, all the I-whatevers are all the same thing in a different package...With a higher price and more hastle with each inception....

Technology has made us fatter, lazier, and less in tune with the world around us...It has helped Darwin's case by survival of the fittest and smartest...Disagree???Look at all the people who get taken out behind the wheel while glued to technology, instead of the task at hand...

Don't get me wrong, Pennicillin, rubber soled shoes and microwave popcorn are absolute genius...But as for video games, instant texting, and the wife being able to find me with her so called smart phone....Bad, Very Bad...

All this while typing on a computer forum about Primitive Archery....Geesh, talk about a mind screw...Go figure...
He That Raises the sword against us, Shall be cleaved upon seven fold-Talmud.

Offline DavidV

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2014, 12:00:20 am »
Bit of a loaded question for a site called Primitive Archer don't you think?

Springfield, MO