Author Topic: Alder?  (Read 3134 times)

Offline Crogacht

Alder?
« on: February 03, 2014, 12:49:43 am »
Hi all,

Was wondering if you could confirm a tree ID.

I think this is Alder, but not 100% sure of the type. It's growing near/in water among the willow.

The leaves have a distinct... notch or dip at the tip of the leaf. It's not pointed.

It's nice and straight, might be able to make a bunch of arrows from it.

Offline kleinpm

Re: Alder?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 10:49:42 am »
Looks like Alder to me.

I didn't realize Alder was a good arrow wood. There is a lot of Alder where I cut my serviceberry and chokecherry staves and arrow shoots. It is relatively brittle.

Patrick

Offline bow101

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 02:03:42 pm »
Did not know ya had Alder in NZ..?   I have made a couple arrows from it, but have to make more and shoot them more to really make a judgement call.  So far so good.  The wood is not much good for anything else 'cept  cabinet work, moldings, furniture and small boxes.  Alder takes stain very well and is good for lathe work also.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 04:17:18 pm »
Well I've read of people using it as arrow wood, maybe some of the British guys, I can't remember. I know it's not as good as birch or probably even ash, but I think it's usable. I've also spotted some poplar that I should be able to get, so that will work also.

We have most trees here that you find in Britain, here and there, if you look around... lots of oaks and stuff. No American trees really though, 90% of the woods people mention on PA are unheard of here. I know of a couple of osage trees very far from me, but they're just in someones garden. We have yews, mostly irish yew and pretty rare... the rest are in churchyards or outside courthouses, so not the ideal spots for some complimentary pruning :P

But. I hope to post some interesting NZ native woods/bows on here when everything aligns and lets me get going with things. Should be fun and interesting for everyone.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 09:55:23 pm »

I would say black birch.  could be wrong, but that is what I am "guessing".  Especially being near the water.  And it looks like black birch.

Wayne

Offline bow101

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 11:28:22 pm »
I would say its 100% alder , its in my backyard  :)   We have so much of it here, we call it the weed tree, everyone uses it for firewood, it seasons quickly.  The lumber yards want $5.00 per board foot here after its all cleaned up and dressed.

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 11:43:14 pm »
Yeah I think it's just a common alder. The 4th pic shows it the best, but the leaves have a distinctive dip in the end instead of a point.

Might go and get some and get it drying for arrows. There's not a lot of it around here, but it's growing with the willows, which are pretty much a weed around here :P

Offline nick:uk

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 08:26:42 pm »
yep that's alder the worst tree for prop twist when splitting i found out the hard way :D

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 11:07:05 pm »
Oh dear, I've had some bad ones myself. Not alder, but native wood from around here, 180 degrees over 2 metres, haha.

Any good for arrows you think? Assuming I can get a straightish bit

Offline bushboy

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2014, 01:52:24 pm »
looks like alder to me.if you scrape it there should be a dark red colour under the bark.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline bow101

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2014, 02:05:27 pm »
Oh dear, I've had some bad ones myself. Not alder, but native wood from around here, 180 degrees over 2 metres, haha.

Any good for arrows you think? Assuming I can get a straightish bit

I have made a couple arrows from it, but have to make more and shoot them more to really make a judgement call.  So far so good. 
 Yes it will make a Decent Arrow, Go for it.   Dry the Wood real good and you are set to go.