Author Topic: Your take on technology  (Read 4934 times)

Offline Robby101

Re: Your take on technology
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2014, 10:34:04 am »
I was jawboning with a fellow at the local archery range one day last summer, he's not a close friend, but a good and decent man that I like and have a respect for, knowing a little about his history and the admirable way that he has handled his troubles. Anyway, somehow the gabfest wandered on to computers, not my strong suit but I do try to keep up, when out of no where he says the "internet is evil". I was a bit taken aback and he went on with "I know evil when I see it and its evil"! Now our range is a beautiful woodland setting with hills, gullies, springs and even a swamp. Its the kind of place that when your in it, you almost instinctively lower your voice, like you were in a grand cathedral during service, sort of a natural reverence, I go there for the feeling of wholeness I get as much as to shoot countless arrows and walk around, not to argue, especially the esoterics of the internet and its relationship to good and evil. So after a bit of assessment, I just looked him in the eye and in a voice that I thought was reflective of the feelings I have for our surroundings said, well John, I suppose one could look at it that way, but for me its just a tool no different than the most basic of technologies like fire or a hammer, both of which bring us many good things, both of which can be abused for what might be considered evil purposes. Its kind of like saying life is unfair. Heck, life isn't fair, or unfair for that matter, its what happens, only people can possibly possess those traits, exulted or base as they may be. It rains on the just and the unjust, you can make shelter or curse your lot in life, that's the beauty of free will. That was the totality of my somewhat muted rant and I think he realized that was the end of my side of the conversation. I still see him from time to time and enjoy his company and like to think he still enjoys mine. Hope that makes some kind of sense.
Robby

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2014, 11:01:03 am »
Well, I don't own a TV and the only reason I have a cell phone is because I travel isolated roads on the rez. I have the internet to do email and do research and enjoy sites like this. But technology is definitely creating a problem with common courtesy. I like aspects of technology, but some of it tends to detract from more important things it should be used for.

There are still traditional Navajos on the rez who speak little to no English, have no electricity or running water, live in hogans with woodstove cooking and heat, and are pretty self-sufficient food-wise. They mostly use horses for herding, but have a truck to come into town and buy flour, coffee, sugar, ammo, and some other things. They could move into a town on the rez and have all those things like internet and so on, but they don't. They're happy living traditionally because it's important to them. In some ways, they're better off than people living in towns that do have technology. They use the technology they need----trucks, firearms----but set a boundary on things they see no point to having. But if the gas ran out tomorrow, they'd survive just fine. They'd just do without the coffee and flour and when the ammo ran out, just go back to bows. They probably wouldn't hear about the gas running out for a couple weeks. There are Navajos out there that speak no English at all and don't need to learn it. When you're raising sheep, have horses, grow your own corn and squash, and tobacco and medical herbs are there for the picking, you don't need a whole lot else. Just an interesting thing to mention that there are still people living without technology and they're aware it exists, but don't want to have it.
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2014, 11:29:13 am »
Of course for a long time the primitive weapons that we produce were the height of human technology and a key to our survival.  Modern technology is much the same.  It enables us to have a much greater quality and longevity of life when used in a positive way.  When used in a harmful way; well we see countless examples of that as well. 

I am a tech nerd by trade and have all the latest technical gadgets (including the archery ones).  They are great and I try to use them in a way that makes my life better.  However after working by a computer all day I can’t wait to get outside and forget I’ve ever saw one.  I’ll hike, shoot, bike, or just find a spot deep in the woods and meditate.  Now I get to take my 4.5 year old daughter with me as well.  She can use an iPad like a champ but can also shoot a bow and file a bamboo arrow.  It’s some strange yin and yang type balance for us. 

What I dislike about technology is how accustomed people have become to instant gratification.  I feel sorry for them because we only truly appreciate things we work for.  For example there is nothing wrong with compound hunting or crossbow hunting, I do it myself, but many/most modern hunters are completely unaware of what bow hunting was to man for the past thousands of years.  Hand crafted weapon and hunting knowledge passed from father to son and mastered over a lifetime.  The tribe’s wellbeing partially dependent on the success of its hunters.  The intense personal satisfaction and group celebration of a kill.  Now we just drive through McDonalds to get food and are too busy to even hang up our cell phones. 

Sorry to blabber on.  I just feel that I am one of the lucky ones to be able to take a step back, slow down, and appreciate what man truly is and where we came from in this fast paced world.
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline bow101

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2014, 08:05:40 pm »
Read some good stuff on here.   We also have to keep in mind if there is ever an apocalypse, some of these guys with thier big 4X4's a rifle and a bucket of ammunition will get them by for only so long when they find out they can't buy any ammo or fuel.  These are the ones that laugh at everything primitive and otherwise.
Its all about attitude, why build anything when they can run down to WalMart and buy it.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2014, 08:28:16 pm »
An electric hot water tank is developed technology....I love a HOT SHOWER

Life is not based on modern conviences. We can and have survived without them and can again if need be. They are nice conviences and I do not mind having them. I have done some 18th century reenactments and lived for a week with a flintlock, wool blanket, jerky and parched corn. It was fun and a great expierience, but coming home to conviences is nice.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2014, 08:58:18 pm »
I know people who would literally go insane if they had to live without their phones for a day or 2.
i also know people who are incapable of starting a fire with matches.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2014, 12:41:28 am »
Tools are tools for good or bad they are just tools , use them wisely !
Guy

Very well said!
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline RyanR

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2014, 07:52:14 pm »
If it weren't for technology I wouldn't be here. So I guess you could say, I am all for it.