Author Topic: Doob's ERC  (Read 9550 times)

Offline DuBois

Re: DUMB ERC (not the wood either)
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2014, 02:24:32 pm »
Thanks to you guys with experience for the help and advice.

I agree with what BH said in a PM. Not exact wording but something like "Good wood makes great bows and bad wood makes great bowyers". I am not near great but I did learn a lot from this.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 06:30:52 pm by DuBois »

Offline DuBois

Re: DUMB ERC (Was this offensive?)
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2014, 06:44:08 pm »
ttt

Offline PatM

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2014, 06:56:12 pm »
That's really nice.
  That statement about silk not stretching is an odd one. Silk actually stretches pretty easily in a thin layer. As easily as sinew. It's not going to be slowing it down any more than a layer of paint.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2014, 07:50:18 pm »
Gorgeous makes me want some erc
I like osage

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2014, 07:56:52 pm »
I think it's a great looking bow . Nice job !

Offline Josh B

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2014, 09:37:14 pm »
Silk will stretch the same percentage of its length regardless of its thickness.  The only difference thickness will have is how much force it will take to stretch it to the point of rupture.  The percentage of stretch that silk will tolerate before rupture is far less than sinew.  The paint bit is for lack of a better word, just silly.  I don't see where it would have any thing to do with comparing sinew to silk and how far they stretch.   Unless I completely missed your point, which I hope is the case.  BTW...I don't see anything that I would consider offensive Doobs.  Josh

Offline PatM

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2014, 09:48:15 pm »
 Where are you getting this info from? Have you tried stretching a typical silk thread?

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2014, 10:03:42 pm »
Glad I had a second chance at this one.  I missed it before.  Very impressive Sir!
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline 4dog

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2014, 10:28:28 pm »
i seriously doubt the "dumb" comment bothered anyone...sometimes it just takes a couple days for folks to respond...that is all.
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline aaron

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2014, 10:51:56 pm »
Great bow. I love the inclusion of bead work. how is the beadwork attached? The design may alarm some but many of us know it as a traditional design from several cultures.
What's up with the rawhide wrap below the beadwork- what is it there for?
Most of all I love the quote "Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline DuBois

Re: Doob's ERC
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2014, 10:58:37 pm »
Thanks Pat, Joe and Paul

Silk will stretch the same percentage of its length regardless of its thickness.  The only difference thickness will have is how much force it will take to stretch it to the point of rupture.  The percentage of stretch that silk will tolerate before rupture is far less than sinew.  The paint bit is for lack of a better word, just silly.  I don't see where it would have any thing to do with comparing sinew to silk and how far they stretch.   Unless I completely missed your point, which I hope is the case.  BTW...I don't see anything that I would consider offensive Doobs.  Josh

OK, thanks Josh.
Glad I had a second chance at this one.  I missed it before.  Very impressive Sir!
Thank you Bob.
i seriously doubt the "dumb" comment bothered anyone...sometimes it just takes a couple days for folks to respond...that is all.
OK thank you dog. I can be a little impatient sometimes. Don't know why it matters to me what you all think, but for some reason it does  ;)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 01:38:27 am by DuBois »

Offline hunterbob

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2014, 11:29:15 pm »
Sweet. I love the looks of that cedar. Nice bend on those limbs also.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2014, 01:18:12 am »
Great bow. I love the inclusion of bead work. how is the beadwork attached? The design may alarm some but many of us know it as a traditional design from several cultures.
What's up with the rawhide wrap below the beadwork- what is it there for?
Most of all I love the quote "Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"
Thanks fro the compliment Aaron, good eye on the beads and you're right. No nazi intonations intended here. I put the rawhide under the beads cause I thought the beads would show better than on the black silk. Got the idea while cutting the strike piece.
I used contact cement liberally under the beads and then a little cyano around the edge the next day, then polished em a little to get any glue off.

Thanks Bob. Pretty stuff aint it?

mikekeswick

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2014, 03:38:49 am »
Good job with a tricky wood. I must say though you look like you are in some sort of disguse! Sunglasses with a big boiler suit and hidden face! ;D

Offline Josh B

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2014, 04:02:57 am »
Where are you getting this info from? Have you tried stretching a typical silk thread?

My info comes from my own trial and error.  Yes, I have stretched silk thread, silk cloth and sinew.  The sinew stretches farther and maintains its elasticity better than silk will.  However, there is more to it than that to be considered here.  Most sinewed bows are nowhere near to working the sinew at its max.  This bow is probably only using half the potential of the sinew.  And I'm just guessing that based on the dimensions and draw.  If that guess is remotely close, then the layer of silk is probably not overly strained either(not maxed out in elasticity).  If that be the case then the silk probably is not effecting the sinew in this case.  So I will concede the point on this one.  Sorry Doobs, it would appear that I spoke out of turn here.   However, I still maintain that this  bow is a beautiful piece of work.  Well done sir!  Josh
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 04:08:36 am by Gun Doc »